A Cup of Coffee (1980) Mormon anti-coffee short

See kids? (pours coffee in enema bag) I am not really drinking coffee.

10 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. A show of shorts would be great!

1 Like

Eli Bosnick has been getting a little stale with the xtian jokes. He could stand to branch out to making fun of mormons and other religions, stretch his legs a little.

Remember the review of International Guerillas? That was fucking gold. I get that the xtian media is far more developed and thereā€™s just more of it, but thereā€™s other stupid ideas that need to be picked on.

Itā€™s amazing though how consistently the Pureflix studio movies get their morality completely backwards.

ā€œso, the anti-christ is banning all nuclear weapons and disarming the globe, solving world hunger, and setting up universal healthcare. This anti-christ guys sounds like someone Iā€™d vote for in a heartbeat. Why is he considered the bad guy again?ā€

4 Likes

Ironically, the Mormons prefer a much stronger stimulant for their morning drink, Ephedrine.
Ephedra Tea.

Or at least the early church did. So much so that the Ephedra plantā€™s two most popular common names are Mormon Tea and Brigham Tea. Nothing like starting your day with a hot cup of hypocrisy.

I should probably mention their anti-drug stance and history of using the hallucinogen Datura wrightii (Jimson weed).

10 Likes

Whatsmore, ephedra can be quite dangerous because the plants have wildly variable amounts of ephedrine in them. One plant might have a decently safe dose for a cup of tea, while its buddy a meter to the left could have enough ephedrine to give an elephant a heart attack.

7 Likes

Jimson weed would go a long way toward explaining those sacred texts.

12 Likes

Ironically or not, Folgers is 100% Arabica, and is the one of the highest scoring supermarket coffee brands from real professional coffee tasters (third party not hired by a certain brand).

It isnā€™t Stumptown but I can tolerate folgers and iā€™m very picky about my coffee and canā€™t really stand most cheaper coffees. Iā€™d say it is probably the best of the cheap brands. I know it is a fun brand to poke fun at, but it really isnā€™t as bad as people like to make it out to be.

Also, kinda gross to think about, but McDonalds and 7-11 have both upped their coffee game here in canada to try and bring in customers and have switched out their cheap ass coffees for much better quality ones.

Iā€™m a coffee snob, but for taste, not their public imageā€¦iā€™m not embarrassed to drink a good cup of coffee from a brand or store people stick up their noses at. screw them for being so snobbish and ignorant of forming a real opinion based on their own tastes/experiences.

That being saidā€¦Stumptown has been making some great coffee, so when i can i do go for the premo stuff. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

At work I drink Folgers, 'cos thatā€™s what there is. Itā€™s hot, and it has caffeine.

At home itā€™s Stumptown.

4 Likes

Illy and lavazza also are pretty good for brands you can find worldwide.
KickingHorse is quite good, but regional. Thrive makes some good single source.

Last but certainly not least, Iā€™d be remiss if I didnā€™t mention my cousinā€™s company that makes top notch coffee, Boxcar. If you are ever in Boulder CO, stop by there and have a Stella, named after my niece.

3 Likes

American coffee used to be as strong as that in Northern Europe. During WWII Eleanor Roosevelt headed a campaign telling housewives they should use half as much coffee (freeing up more for the war effort). The campaign worked, even in households where the husbands hated Roosevelt (possibly extra-well in those households). For some reason the taste for weak coffee stuck.

6 Likes

That explains so much.

1 Like

It would be so convenient if it did.

For me itā€™s more nuanced. Smith was a master syncretizer and scallywag, but thereā€™s absolutely no record (that Iā€™ve ever known ofā€¦) of him or Brigham Young partaking of unusual pharmaceuticals for the time.

eta - Remember that Smith never came out West where Ephedra, or Brigham Tea grows. He died before the exodus.

7 Likes

Beat me to it. The whole ā€œOMG they think coffee is sinful!ā€ reaction that non-LDS get kind of overwhelms the real message about trust.

OTOH, coffee sinful? Thatā€™s wack.

4 Likes

Didnā€™t know what Stumptown was, so I looked it up, and discovered that itā€™s been bought out by Peetā€™s.

3 Likes

I was going to mention the weirdness of forbidding coffee, but not ephedra. Their edicts about what substances people should or shouldnā€™t take seem to be rather arbitrary. Then again, I usually do find most such religious and political prohibitions to be arbitrary.

Is coffee the devilā€™s favorite food? Does it compel people to do immoral things? What if people use it irregularly and so arenā€™t addicted to it?

That was awesome. I love how he pronounces his own instrument like 3 different random ways. Iā€™m pretty disappointed we never got to see him play it though.

ā€œIt hasnā€™t really made it with rock groups yet, but I plan of forming a rock group, Iā€™m going to have an electronic bassoon. I havenā€™t really figured out the details yet.ā€

He was a visionary ahead of his time. If he had succeeded I have a strange feeling it would have ended up being this:

1 Like

oh, I didnā€™t know that! hopefully they keep the quality up as theyā€™ve been nailing it with their beans and roasting.

It is BROWN. I kid, there is an African American Mormon, I saw him once.

7 Likes

I know him!

7 Likes

My recollection is that the rule isnā€™t about coffee, or even caffeine, per se, but against hot drinks.

(Which still doesnā€™t explain ephedra tea.)

2 Likes

I thought they couldnā€™t have caffeinated soda, either. Perhaps I is wrong.

3 Likes