A dad finds a scary funnel-web spider in his driveway and teaches his young son what to do

Originally published at: A dad finds a scary funnel-web spider in his driveway and teaches his young son what to do | Boing Boing

11 Likes

He now needs to teach his son to turn his phone sideways when shooting video.

35 Likes

Priorities!

6 Likes

“Son, go fetch your mother’s cigarette lighter and the starting fluid from the garage, I’m going to teach you a lesson about spiders.” - My dad, probably.

11 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker (6)

16 Likes

teaches his son what to do

25 Likes

My brain’s been in pandemic mode for so long now that the scariest part of the video was the kid cough at 1:00.

19 Likes

15 Likes

Good for him! It’s great to see someone taking the time to education, rather than destroy the spider.

I do this with my daughter all the time. We’ve got some pretty funky spiders here, like black widows, and I’ve taught her to be cautious of them, but also to appreciate them.

19 Likes

while some species of funnel-web spiders are “friendly,” others "are the most deadly spiders in the world

The real problem is the overlap between those two categories

13 Likes

That’s why he needs to do it now, after the spider episode.

1 Like

Nope. That ship has sailed, along with the meaning of “beg the question” and the correct way to pronounce “GIF.” You’re just gonna have to turn your tablet, desktop screen, or TV sideways sometimes.

4 Likes

Am I the only one who really wants to know about “the anteater”?

8 Likes

7 Likes

I approve of not killing the spider, and of moving it away from the house. But when they say he moved it “half a block away” I picture him moving it closer to somebody else’s house. But maybe his block is laid out differently from mine.

3 Likes

The follow-up video of his neighbor having the spider drop on from a tree on his head during his daily walk is much more entertaining…

10 Likes

stick - human’s first multi-tool

7 Likes

Do you want venomous drop bears? Because that’s how you get venomous drop bears!

14 Likes

I have a similar program. Like, “Kids, that’s a corn snake. Harmless. Let’s leave it alone.” or “Kids, that’s a copperhead. I am terrified. Now we are going to walk a half mile out of our way while I poke every small leaf with this stick I picked up after checking it 14 times to be sure it’s also not a copperhead. You know what? Maybe this stick is a copperhead too. Better to drop it just in case. We’ll just walk around ALL the leaves.”

24 Likes

:rofl: Hilarious, and totally understandable!

3 Likes