A fascinating website with the source photos for the people on the cover of Sgt. Pepper

Originally published at: A fascinating website with the source photos for the people on the cover of Sgt. Pepper | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I’m sure I’m not the only Happy Mutant here who spent hours engrossed in that album cover in pre-Internet days, trying to figure out who was who.

14 Likes

There was a great interview with Peter Blake in this documentary made for the 20th anniversary. Worth seeking out for all the interviews alone.

3 Likes

I used the aid of drugs, and wouldn’t you know it, I named everyone on the album, twice, and on special occasions, saw some that weren’t even on the cover.

9 Likes

Images removed from the album cover, for one reason or another. (Was Leo Gorcey really in a position to demand $400 for use of his image?)

4 Likes

I always think of this picture when I read about Aleister Crowley:

1 Like

He may be a Great Occultist, but he’s terrible at finger puppets.

6 Likes

A young Ed Gamble.

5 Likes

On a similar note, I once spent hours poring over a Tim Buckley album cover looking for esoteric (or drug) meanings in the circular object he had over one eye. Hours and hours and hours. Then came the dawn, it was an upside down Pepsi bottle cap. No wonder it seemed so tantalizingly familiar. I was so easily tantalized in those days.

3 Likes

I agree, it looks kind of like an upside down elephant head. He really needed to work on his technique.

Well, that was a nice distraction from … working. As, always, thanks BoingBoing!

2 Likes

I like it!

Could use one of those pictures showing numbered silhouettes telling you who’s who. Maybe later.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.