A fireplace that burns proprietary logs

But what about the auditory experience? I prefer the crackle of wood to the the hiss of gas.

1 Like

…and “make” “juice.”

1 Like

A wood fire is more interactive in general, what with having to poke at it and rearrange the pieces for an optimum burn or even ventilate it with a bellows if you’ve got one. It was the original video game. A gas fire you can just turn on and off with a switch. It depends what you want from the activity.

2 Likes

I thought I had heard of every olde-worlde measurement used in America, but that’s a new one. Thanks for adding to my list!

5 Likes

The gel isn’t proprietary is it? Any reason you couldn’t just pour some fondue fuel in there? I mean, if it was already installed and you didn’t want to throw it out just to spite the owner.

One bonus, a crt throws off a lot of heat as well

1 Like

4 Likes

First thing that came to my mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A cord of wood is the standard measure (4’ x 4’ x 8’). I know of know other. A face-cord is 1/3 of a full cord.

FWIW, $50 is crazy expensive for a face cord unless you have something exotic like Bois d’ arc.

2 Likes

The two most common ways to measure firewood is by the “Full Cord” or “Face Cord”. The difference between the two is that a full cord of firewood is an amount of wood that fills a space equal to eight feet long by four feet high by four feet deep. A standard length for firewood in a full cord is 16" long and most of the time a full cord of firewood will consist of three rows stacked four feet wide and eight feet long.

A face cord of firewood is equal to a single stack of firewood that measures four feet high by 8 feet long by however deep the depth of the firewood is. Log length in a face cord of firewood varies and there isn’t a standard length.

4 Likes

I need to read “Unauthorized Bread” before yet more assholes decide it’s supposed to be nonfiction.

1 Like

LED logs. I wonder how they compare in carbon footprint?

2 Likes

These solar LED lighted firepit logs are at home in any décor. They recharge in the sun and are ready by evening in any weather, for all occasions.

This actually seems really tricky. You’d have to work out the carbon cost in making the batteries, electronics and plastics that went into making the LED logs. Not to mention all the travel from factory to warehouse to home they take. At the same time over their life they produce 0 carbon dioxide.

The wood you burn in the fireplace most likely travels a short distance, and was sequestering carbon up until the point you burn it. But you do throw a good amount of that back into the air.

Those proprietary logs are the worst of both worlds, either petroleum or corn based alcohols, processed, packed and shipped to you to burn.

3 Likes

ARTHUR:
What? Who said that?

VENTILATION SYSTEM:
The Ventilation System. You had a go at me yesterday.

ARTHUR:
Yes, because you keep filling the air with cheap perfume.

VENTILATION SYSTEM:
You like scented air: it’s fresh and invigorating.

ARTHUR:
No I do not.#

[Floor begins shaking]

FLOOR:
Please calm down.

Hopefully they won’t make any unit for burning them outside. In the summer, when it finally cools down and it’s good to turn off the air conditioner and open the windows, that’s when someone decides to light up one of those backyard firebowls and fill the air with smoke.

4 Likes

Why would I put such a primitive blade in my guillotine when I can get a disposable five-blade guillotine cartridge that removes a head with unprecedented speed and closeness, without the unpleasantness of guillotine-burn? I want the best a neck can get.

7 Likes

+1 for “Guillotine Burn”

Get one with the vibrating scaffolding.

3 Likes

This makes me want to visit the manufacturer, and after a bit of pantsless effort, leave them with a few of my own proprietary logs

2 Likes

I recommend you buy a LPG or methane powered fireplace
because it heats your room way better thaan a TV set (ok, maybe a not solid state TV set will heat the room a bit more, but I digress) http://www.edilkamin.com/en/gas-fireplace

Or you can even buy a wood burning stove that uses the real thing http://www.edilkamin.com/en/wood-burning-stove

2 Likes

Smart Log v2.0 will require an internet connection, and, to use them, you will have to… log on!.. I’ll get my coat.

3 Likes

If you want heat, you’re going to want an old fashioned all tube TV, not a solid state one with just the CRT as a tube.

2 Likes