A Florida school board member demanding special treatment angles to have the principal fired

Originally published at: A Florida school board member demanding special treatment angles to have the principal fired | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Why would anybody resign rather than be fired? Especially in a weird case like this one? I’d prefer to be fired, for two reasons: one, sweet, sweet severance pay; and two, the reasons for the firing would probably have to be in writing.

21 Likes

The principal was bullied.

25 Likes

I’m confused, too. The only thing I can think of is looking better on a resume for future employment? Or just wanting to move on?

In addition to severance, resigning likely affects unemployment.

A friend pointed out that the principal resigning is a red flag for any incoming principal. Along with the publicity, finding a replacement will be difficult. It sucks for the kids…

7 Likes

In the UK you can resign but it can still be constructive dismissal and open to an Industrial Tribunal to decide that it was, irrespective of a resignation.

No idea if the US has the same concept.

6 Likes

I wonder what political party this parent supports. /s

12 Likes

Not really.

In the US, if you are fired, the person reviewing your unemployment benefits gets to decide if you were fired for a good reason or not, and that affects how much (if any) of your benefit you actually get, and even then, there’s strings attached to it.

9 Likes

America: cruelty is the point. :sob:

14 Likes

True, but I would fully support some malicious compliance in the form of “goldbricking” on her part while still acting as a placeholder.

8 Likes

They certainly may have trouble finding a good principal, interested in the needs of the students, but the board isn’t looking for that, they’re probably looking to replace her with a toadie who caters to the whims of the board.

ETA: Decades ago, when dealing with an unprofessional work environment and a dishonest psychopath of a boss, I pulled a “you can’t fire me I quit”, even though a lawyer friend that I’d talked to informally before hand had told me not to quit. It was hard to be rational in an irrational environment.

13 Likes

I was on the school board long ago, before 9-11 and heightened security, and even then I couldn’t just wander the halls as I chose. The board member is nuts, but I guess it is Florida.

6 Likes

And that sort of person is usually very good at pushing buttons to get you to react like that.

4 Likes

I think he was more incompetent than manipulative.
He seemed honestly surprised that he couldn’t berate me and expect me to not call him on his bullshit. Constantly losing staff was not helpful for his business. As I told him in that exchange “the only way you know how to run a business is to run it into the ground”.

5 Likes

Forget it Peters; It’s DeSantistown.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.