A fond look back at the scariest 25 minutes on television

My own mom smokes about 3 per day; so believe me, I get being astonished.

7 Likes

wow–I’ve never heard of this and I was very much alive in 1975. I seem to remember my mom talking about a book/movie (a more august book/movie) that this would seem to be kind of a rip-off of…anyone have any idea?

2 Likes

I didn’t see this, but it scared my mother so badly she told me all about it the next day.

3 Likes

Not to be confused with the 2001 Simpsons episode, “Trilogy of Error”:

5 Likes

Yep — I’ve watched that part of Trilogy of Terror several times (but not in the last 30 years). It always filled me with dread. And then embarrassment for feeling dread from a dumb little doll.

3 Likes

American fetish dolls are a completely different kettle of fish.

3 Likes

I like that the little dude climbed up to the bed biting the knife pirate style. Otherwise, I’d have had to ask how he could hoist himself up on the bedsheet one handed. This kind of attention to detail is what sells me on a horror movie like this.

6 Likes

I actually never watched it, I was to young when it was broadcasted in México, but my older sister did. She gave such an accurate and descriptive scene-by-scene tour of the show to my other sister and I, than years later when I stumbled upon a picture of the doll, I recognize it immediately.

1 Like

Saw this when it aired - total nightmare fuel.

5 Likes

I watched this when it aired too. It inoculated me on horror. Because I have never really been scared by other horror after watching this and being completely_freaked_out.

4 Likes

Serling was actually a very progressive person & would likely have been chagrined about the Zuni error. His frustration with corporate TV resistance to scripts dealing honestly with controversial topics like bigotry and racism led him to creating “The Twilight Zone”, in which he had a freer hand.

He was an amazing individual – physically tough (a boxer and paratrooper), sensitive, and creative. The Wikipedia entry for him is well worth a read.

7 Likes

Maybe she’s referring to Dead of Night (1945) which is often considered the best of the anthology horror films?

1 Like

Hate to break it to you, but Serling had nothing to do with this. This was not an episode of Twilight Zone. It was produced and directed by Dark Shadows creator, Dan Curtis.

2 Likes

In the US during the 1960s, cigarette consumption was at about 200 packs a year per capita.

4hPQpPF

I watched this on TV back in high school. I thought it was hilarious doubly so at the ending when Karen Black crouches down and smiles. My friend who had seen it before couldn’t watch this story again.
It is a good suspenseful story but it gets absurd like jeezus lady it is a tiny tiny thing why is it kicking your ass?

1 Like

Alien too gory? Well maybe the chest burster scene… but that is about it. It is one of my favorite creature/old dark house films.

You should see something like Braindead for real gore though it gets tempered by the pure absurdity of the situations.

3 Likes

Bah!

These are the scariest two minutes on television!

10 Likes

You sir win the internet today.

3 Likes

I can’t believe I watched this… My brain just melted a little.

2 Likes

Just about all the creature scenes in Alien really disgusted me (egg bursting, lying with creature on face, etc.). Even the alien skeleton with the ribs bent outwards filled me with dread, as it allowed me to see what was coming. It was just too intense for me.

2 Likes