A fond look back at the scariest 25 minutes on television

Now see the scariest/tensest movie I have seen was the original version of The Haunting. That movie creeped me right out. But there was no gore at all in it.

Heck the original Night Of The Living Dead was terribly effective and wonderfully tense, atmospheric and scary until the zombies actually attack and it goes right into awful acting and stupid choices mode which just makes me giggle at the dumb.

2 Likes

Haven’t see either. It’s funny, I love science fiction books and sf movies, but so many of the latter are also horror, so I don’t go. I enjoyed Arrival and Interstellar (despite the latter’s flaws), but I pass on most of them. John Carpenter’s “The Thing?” No way. I wish they could tone some of that down. And do some more of the intelligent sf, that doesn’t need the horror element.

OTOH, I love Hitchcock. Even with Psycho, the gore was implied. TEHO.

Edit: fixed typo.

2 Likes

I just remembered. See Island Of Lost Souls if you have not. Charles Laughton is really good and creepy in that. The ending of that film will make you shiver and nothing at all is shown but your brain fills it all in well and you are getting squicked out over the just punishment of the villain.

1 Like

I think what it is with me is I just look at it and go ‘wow cool how did they do that?’ and that takes a lot of the horror out of it. The scary bits of that movie to me were everyone sitting around wonder who is and isn’t the creature.

3 Likes

Old school Doctor Who where they do the alien/monster reveal and that synth sound.

Also, and I was older when I saw this, like 30, but the beginning of the Outer Limits episode “Do not open until doomsday.” freaked me out. When the alien first appears in the beginning and the weird sound it made - unnerving.

Same here; it was the atmospheric tension that was most scary in that one.

I recently just showed it to my kid; she actually cried when Windows bought it.

O_O

But she loved the Shining.

Go figure.

2 Likes

Do you disappointed? I think you disappoint.

1 Like

The creepiest thing I remember from watching tv as a kid was reruns of a tv movie about a teenaged boy who lived inside the walls of a family’s house. He spied on them through peepholes and stole from the fridge when they weren’t home. I have no idea what its title is.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Super-sleuthing, ftw.

3 Likes

Also, how has no one posted this yet?

6 Likes

This sounds both so crazy and plausible1) that I’ll have to look into it. I know a couple of guys that suffer from Crohn’s, and one of them once used an Alien reference to describe it.

1) I’ve heard it said that 90% of all writing is either therapy or revenge, or both.

4 Likes

$50.00!!!

Wow, I forgot how expensive movies were when they first came out for public consumption and studios had no idea how to price them.

3 Likes

I put my feet up on the bar under the computer desk while watching this, but it was purely for comfort, I swear.

2 Likes

She just needed to use her Stand to fight it.

And the Kingdom of Atranta?!

I Still can’t watch this without having nightmares. That and the original “don’t be afaid of the dark” not that horrible Katy Holmes pos.

1 Like

Now, that I have seen, and it scared the crap out of me back in the 1980s when it was shown on TV.

1 Like

The chap who is disappointed with Boing Boing is disappointed with life.

2 Likes

Yap! Funny, all I remember is him skulking around inside the walls while the family was home. (And him filching from the fridge when they weren’t.)

2 Likes