A funny sketch about racists reacting to the new Doctor Who casting

… especially her later stuff without Desi

2 Likes

Sweet sweat.

Ooh. I just googled images of Delia Derbyshire T shirts …so many.

But sadly… analog industries appears to be no more.

2 Likes

As for general opinion about whether the show has gone downhill… I think more than any other show, Doctor Who is constantly going up and down in quality. The entire mood of the show is rewritten with every new Doctor and new producer. It’s always been of varying quality, and opinions of where that quality rises or falls have always been fairly subjective. I feel like every Doctor handed awful scripts has managed to pull off a few really good episodes and every Doctor given exciting, engaging stuff most of the season has ended up with a few truly cringeworthy garbage episodes. In a show where virtually anything is possible and change comes swiftly and inevitably, how can it be any other way?

17 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :heart_eyes: :+1:

8 Likes

I am not JNT’s biggest fan. I felt he did more harm than good in his attempt to renew & refresh the series, taking a lot of the humor out of the series in exchange for harder SF stories. Then there’s the whole turning the Doctor’s clothes into costumes, the stunt casting (did anyone else buy Beryl Reid as some hardened space captain in Earthshock?), insisting C. Baker wear that ridiculous coat, and all of those bloody ?'s.

However, he did what he could to keep the show on the air. No one else at the BBC wanted to produce it and once Michael Grade came in, well, things got grim from there.

I will say that I enjoyed that he did away with the Sonic Screwdriver and, frankly, I would love for the Modern Series to do the same thing. Today’s Sonic Screwdriver is basically a magic wand that does everything.

4 Likes

At least, we had Jodie Whittaker to see us through the Chibbers error. Sorry, era.

4 Likes

Don’t tell me to calm down, don’t tell me it will pass
I am still sensitive, I am a badass
I am sensitive, I am a badass
If you haven’t yet realized that we are political,
you haven’t listened so we will start yelling
I often want to just burn down the world,
sometimes I’m an anarchist, sometimes I’m a pacifist
Sensitive Badass by The Doubleclicks

5 Likes

I still think the frockasaurus version is fucking gorgeous…

That’s true… the powers that be wanted to get rid of it altogether…

Bonus, her 4th doctor outfit…

And a group of them…

The 8th doctor’s is fancy!

14 Likes

:heart_eyes:

11 Likes

Here’s her etsy store…

She’s in the UK, and she does all sorts of special orders. It’s hella-expensive, though.

9 Likes

I may windowshop later :grin:

6 Likes

I think what I like about the doctor who frocks specifically is that they are great for cosplay, but you could wear them as just sort of fancy dresses, too.

4 Likes

Back in the Tom Baker era, fans tended to call themselves Whovians (according to the Doctor Who Fan Club of America, at least), though there’s several fannish group names floating out there now. I haven’t kept up that much, so I’m not sure which, if any, has caught on. :woman_shrugging: :rofl:

8 Likes

They are pretty and fancy, I also like how the less fancy ones are subtle so that only a few people would notice you were Who-ing.

5 Likes

You sure about that? I just celebrated my 38th anniversary of seeing my first DW story (Robot on WCET-TV 10pm on May 4, 1985) and I’m still watching. Not a huge fan of Chibbers but I love Jodie to bits.

9 Likes

I’ve been watching for over 40 years

Jodie is awesome even if some of her stories have been a bit sub-par.

GIF by Doctor Who

12 Likes

She really has been amazing and I feel a great disservice has been done by not giving her the role much sooner. Of course I also remember back in the Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy era when there were rumors–alas, only rumors–that the next Doctor would be a woman. And it was suggested that Patricia Quinn was up for the role.

The possibility of worlds colliding gave me some wonderfully terrible thrills, if you get my drift.

6 Likes

I couldn’t tell you the day or date, but I caught part of a Tom Baker episode on TvO (an Ontario station we could pick up in Detroit) when I was single-digit young, and I’ve been fascinated ever since. Sometimes our local PBS would air episodes, and for a while one of the local independent channels (then-WGPR 62) ran Tom Baker, Peter Davidson, and Colin Baker stories. I think there’s a very low-power station still broadcasting Old Who in my market, but my antenna doesn’t pick that one up.

I don’t currently have cable or streaming subscriptions, so it’s not that easy to keep up, but I’ve seen a smattering of the new episodes. (School Reunion made me cry a little, as I’ve been a Sarah Jane fan from day one.) Someday I look forward to catching up with all I’ve missed, when time and opportunity allow.

9 Likes

That’s one of the things I enjoy with fandom is the creativity. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

snl s reactions GIF

Fandom has really taken passive consumption and made it into an active, creative community over the years…

7 Likes