A funny sketch about racists reacting to the new Doctor Who casting

Oh god, yes… some are so bad, we just watch them and laugh and laugh…

The Kandy Man is the worst villian of all time… i mean… WTF?

The politics of the McCoy era were pretty right on, but the stories often failed to be compelling or well done…

Lenny Henry kind of mocked the era a bit…

12 Likes

Preach!

5 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. Is the complaint here…that he moved when he was a kid?

1 Like

I never understood why the Star Trek ‘fans’ get so wound up. Especially over the best captain. Everyone knows that Commander Kirk flew the U.S.B. Exercise across the galaxy in 12 parsecs.

ps. Janeway.

6 Likes

Is he from Embra, or is he a Fifer? SCOTTISH REGIONAL RIVALRY REQUIRES AN ANSWER!

7 Likes

One of my favorite t-shirts ever.

15 Likes

Sylvester McCoy is still my favorite Doctor. I liked a Doctor who was simultaneously silly and pretty damn terrifying when he wanted to be.

“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea’s asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there’s danger. Somewhere there’s injustice. And somewhere else, the tea’s getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!”

I wanted more of that! Happy with what I got instead, though.

10 Likes

That is the only story in 50 years of the show where that mattered. The only time Doctor Who was swinging by Pre-1960’s America was the Old West (twice) and 1930’s Manhattan. Neither would have been different.

He was pretty fantastic… his material could have been better written, though.

5 Likes

strange that you would read and then comment on a post about a show you clearly don’t like

7 Likes

Star Trek first aired in September 1966 but Doctor Who was first in November 1963, so technically Trek joined…

(I don’t really care, I’m just tired of people shitting on other’s TV shows too.)

15 Likes

Im a little sad I missed the 13th dr mostly. I watched from eccleston to capaldi but stopped during that time and mainly just because I don’t do subscriptions anymore. I kinda lost interest during that era too. My impression was that the main fanbase in the USA was preteen girls though.

3 Likes

Two different areas can lay claim to him! Two! The next actor to play the part might even have a history that involves both East and West Scotland! Outrageous!

2 Likes

Haha! Good point!

6 Likes

I’ve often wondered if Roddenberry was influenced at all by the success of Doctor Who… of course TV wasn’t really transnational like it is today, but we know he kept up with sci-fi zines for much of his life…

5 Likes

Maybe it gave the push to put his idea into television instead of film?

5 Likes

Could be. He had a rough go of getting the idea to screen, in part because westerns were so big at the time… they really dominated TV in the US, so much so, that he called it “wagon train to the stars” in his pitches. It really helped the Lucille Ball loved the idea of the show and was so supportive. Good thing she was, as Desilu was one of the production companies, and they were the ones who pioneered syndication, which meant that after Star Trek went off the air, it went into syndication and gained an even larger following in the process.

This has been this evenings round of “history facts you probably all know, but dr. Mindy will tell you anyways”…

13 Likes

No, a lot of us waited it out while complaining about how poor Chibnall was as a showrunner, and look forward to a new era.

5 Likes

I kind of doubt it. The look, themes and styles of Doctor Who are so different from Star Trek.

Prior to Star Trek Roddenberry tried to do a social justice contemporary police drama. It met heavy resistance from the studio. I think he realized he could do more in a SF setting than he could in other genres. A lot of the early scripts were “ ____ story in space!!!” (My favorite 1st season show being a pastiche of classic war film The Enemy Below)

Plus a lot of exposure to British TV here dated to the early 70’s with the growth of PBS (and then superstations in the 80’s) and their need for content.

4 Likes

Another reason we all love Lucy
lucille ball wink GIF

4 Likes