SPOILER: first [spoilerspoilerspoiler] in Doctor Who

That would be first Doctor of colour.

Details here:

Theories:

• Jo!Doc is from the future but for some reason doesn’t remember being Jodie!Doc.
  • Jo!Doc is from the past (pre-Hartnell!Doc? between Troughton!Doc and Pertwee!Doc?), but for some reason Jodie!Doc doesn’t remember being her.
  • Jo!Doc is from an alternate timeline.
  • Jo!Doc is a fake.

Chris Chibnall has explicitly denied the last of these: but remember that, like the Doctor, showrunners lie.

1 Like

Not sure this needs spoilers as it has been all over the pop-culture news cycle for a week now.

Aside form that, it is definitely a cool thing. Inclusivity is always welcome.

2 Likes

A week! God, I’m out of touch.

1 Like

Well… That never happens, right?

3 Likes

lol. It may technically be less…I know I saw it as early as last Friday or Saturday.

And mind you I am not a Dr Who watcher, so I only saw it ancillary as I read various pop-culture news posts.

3 Likes

first broadcast on BBC One on 26 January 2020

Wait a minute … you wouldn’t happen to have a TARDIS buried in your front yard, would you?

1 Like

lol. Well you are talking about the broadcasting of the episode. There were spoilers/leaks of the info about a Dr of color prior to the episode airing.

No TARDIS required on that.

2 Likes

sorry

More for the whole “WTF is going on?” than any issues with the casting.

No spoilers or mentions for the other guest star, alright? :wink:

4 Likes

5 Likes

We’ve also had the first episode of Picard and two episodes of Avenue 5. Both look fantastic.

4 Likes

The best way to approach it is to acknowledge “Continuity” and “Canon” have no real place in Doctor Who. Anything resembling such a thing is ridiculous for show is that is over 50 years old with a good deal of its broadcast history before the age of reruns and home video, or even consistent broadcast history abroad.

It is purely a narrative crutch used when convenient. All of the above theories can be true or it they can just not give any explanation.

MST3K Rules apply. “Just sit back and enjoy the show.”

3 Likes

The BBC’s Eighth Doctor books (which mostly came out before the series’ restart in 2005) positively embraced this, with the punks of Faction Paradox riding roughshod over history and the Doctor’s personal timeline. In one, someone looking into the Doctor’s future was surprised to see he had three ninth incarnations: presumably as portrayed by Christopher Eccleston on TV, Richard Grant in the web-cartoon Scream of the Shalka, and Rowan Atkinson in Comic Relief’s Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death

2 Likes

The worst drek when it came to Doctor Who books and audio dramas (prior to rebirth in 2005) were the stories which were loaded with attempts at creating continuity or were loaded with fanwank references to past shows. Sequels or prequels to prior broadcast stories.

Best example of what I am talking about

Can’t spoil it for me!

I did go squee when Capt Jack showed up

4 Likes

I may have quietly done the same :grin:

2 Likes

I hyperventilated.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.