A giant pitcher of juice shouting "OH YEAH!" helped us stay hydrated

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/16/a-giant-pitcher-of-juice-sayin.html

3 Likes

Especially since it wasn’t even Kool Aid, but Flavor-Ade served out of a bucket, not an anthropomorphic pitcher/Macho Man Randy Savage hybrid.
Edited to remove some grisly elements I didn’t initially see. Sorry.

9 Likes

I took it as a reference to the The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test long before I learned about Jonestown.

11 Likes

When I was little I thought if we had the right kind of pitcher, the Kool-Aid man would talk to me.

I also thought Mrs Butterworth would talk to me, but my parents were too cheap to buy name brand syrup.

14 Likes

This would have been better:

4 Likes

But you were wrong!

2 Likes

You said you never understood why it was an acceptable phrase. I can’t be the only person who mis-attributed it. That was my only point. Obviously once I realized where the expression actually originated from I stopped using it.

5 Likes

A giant pitcher of juice

I’m pretty sure the Kool-Aid Man has never seen a glass of actual juice in his entire destruction-filled life.

18 Likes

Not to mention the structural damage. How many homes needed to be condemned after a giant belligerent pitcher of red sugar water crashed through a load bearing wall?

20 Likes

I’ve also started refraining from characterizing it as a “mass suicide” since so many of the victims were straight-up murdered. Children were made to drink poison, people who hesitated were gunned down. Even within Jones’ cult the decision to die was far from unanimous.

14 Likes

usually there is an xkcd for everything but for this there is a Perry Bible Fellowship

12 Likes
8 Likes

I never understood why it was acceptable to make fun of group suicide by using “drinking the Kool Aid” as a business term.

Especially since it was more likely Flavor Aid. Really, though, in its current usage it’s not referencing group suicide (though it did early on) so much as characterising the mindless cult-follower behaviour that led to the Jonestown massacre.

14 Likes

I mean, if it wasn’t for the sugar-high, Kool-Aid Man probably wouldn’t have the energy to crash through walls like that.

11 Likes

don’t forget we are talking giving artificial color and artificial flavor to children, oh yeah and sugar. instead of real food.

Just being pedantic, sorry, but it is “Flavor Aid”.Which kinda surprised me.

2 Likes

Helped us stay hydrated… and helped entertain us in his own video game!

From the YouTube description:
"For a commercial game, it’s not that bad.

But…it is not good either."

4 Likes

Oh, is that the origins of that joke? I saw some comments along the lines of “Black Panther gets his powers from purple drank!” and thought it was some kind of drug reference.

As for Kool-Aid, it never occurred to me that it might have health benefits that might in any way compensate for its massive sugar content.

2 Likes

i don’t think that is the ORIGIN of the joke. It’s a fairly common reference that black comedians make about being poor. Things they had to live with. They didn’t have soda or juice they had generic Kool-Aid. And for what ever reason they tended to prefer grape or orange. Or like watered down milk for cereal. I mean, honestly, some of the stuff I can relate to. OMG, at a “smoke” (used to frequent a cigar forum and would go to get togethers) I spent an hour or so talking to El Hefe’s wife about government cheese and the other shit we had to make due with.

1 Like

No, “thinking outside the box” does not refer to a casket. Where do you get these ideas, and why doesn’t it occur to you to check your presumptions before announcing them from on high?

6 Likes