The Kool-Aid Man magically cheers me up

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/14/the-kool-aid-man-magically-cheers-me-up.html

4 Likes

Oh yeah!

6 Likes

I guess I kind of assumed that, since it wasn’t on any of the bottles that I’ve ever, uh, observed.

In Scotland it is affectionately known as ‘Mad-Dog 20/20’.

I…not anywhere else? [Citation Needed] indeed.

2 Likes

According to Wikipedia, it’s 20oz at 20% ABV, which is twice as much alcohol as 20 proof.

4 Likes

I believe it.

1 Like

6 Likes

Kool-Aid Man brought to you by the Drywall Manufacturers Association.

Oh Yeah!

5 Likes

9 Likes

It wasn’t labelled Mad Dog but that’s what we all called it in the '80’s! Yes, we called it Mad Dog or Mad Dog 2020 in the US. It was a nickname everyone used.

5 Likes

In other beverage-related musings: I just learned that MD 20/20 is not Mad Dog and never was.

WHAT?!?

2 Likes

7 Likes

Can confirm.

It didn’t matter what ‘MD’ actually stood for; the nickname came from how such cheap ass wine made fools act when they were drunk from it.

6 Likes

grew up in the 70s in rural Texass. I, too can confirm Mad Dog 20/20 was what it was called. never forget that chic puking purple in my buddy’s Firebird. gross!
there was also Boone’s Farm Tickle Pink high ABV sodapop wine. us dumbass country kids called that one Titty Pink .
good times (?)

2 Likes

(source)

10 Likes

If you like violence in your red sugary drinks, might I suggest Hawaiian Punch instead.

5 Likes

Huh. We called it that too, but it never occurred to me that it wasn’t actually labeled Mad Dog.

Jesus, that stuff would give you a hangover before you even finished drinking it.

3 Likes

13 Likes

“Drink my blood and have eternal life” ~Kool-Aid Man. I think that’s the origin of that ideology.

2 Likes

I couldn’t stomach bum wines as a 1970s teen. For us it was Genny cream ale chased with apricot brandy.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re from upstate. That was a fave there.

Meanwhile, let us never forget Brautigan’s Kool-Aid Wino.

2 Likes