A glossary of Silicon Valley tech-bro terms

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/28/a-glossary-of-silicon-valley-t.html

10 Likes

I got’a little puke in the back of my throat on that one…

10 Likes

You should have just microdosed the list.

16 Likes

Depressing how many of those terms I already knew. Knew? Lived. Ugh.

8 Likes

Ooh, ooh! Do “Thinkfluencer”!

7 Likes

Any time I hear anyone use “(thing)fluencer” unironically I want to punch something. I read an article that used the term “gunfluencer” the other day.

15 Likes

This is just a list of the terms that have leaked into daily discourse and absolutely aren’t restricted to techbros. Add in more crypto-Randian fluff and you’ll get closer.

2 Likes

Now you tell me…

3 Likes

This one’s brilliant:
Google (v) – To make the bare minimum effort to inform oneself about something. What a tech bro did before he insisted on explaining your area of expertise to you.

Note: includes a noun definition, too, but this is the funny non-depressing one.

8 Likes

ha! precious… love it, cuz it’s true.

a friend told me he asked a dispensary in sf for edibles in 10mg units because he had no tolerance and they said “oh yeah we sell microdoses”

2 Likes

12 Likes

incubator (n) A parent company that takes baby companies under its wing until they can fly on their own; a playgroup for tech bros. See meritocracy .

Yup.

2 Likes

As a woman in tech who is also a writer: I live this list Every.Damn.Day.

It’s killing my soul :disappointed:

13 Likes

They left out brogrammer == tech bro.

Whenever I see articles like this I get reminded of how Megan Jasper of Caroline records faked out a NYT reporter in the 90s. She gave a list of hilarious fake ‘grunge’ terms like ‘cobnobbler’ for loser and ‘lamestain’ for an uncool person, which were summarily printed without verification.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Ambrose Bierce would have been proud of you.

1 Like

981975203dcedf52a7b9879a1c9955a7d46b22278fad20053a8104235aa6e17d

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.