A "Grease" prequel is in development

Though I dislike most musicals, I have a soft spot for Grease; but this is just unnecessary and a flagrantly lazy money grab.

6 Likes

Agreed. I put it in the same category with Dirty Dancing. If people would stop requesting songs from both of these movies at karaoke, I’d be thrilled.

3 Likes

There are worse things they could do.

5 Likes

I do too and I also enjoy Xanadu and Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band but those are just nostalgic bits of my childhood and actually really bad films over all.

This is a money grab that makes little sense.

Than go with a boy or two?

3 Likes

Tell me more, tell me more…

5 Likes

You are dead to me.

j/k

My personal exceptions are RHPS, Little Shop and Grease; most other musicals can miss me.

Even though the neighborhood
Thinks I’m trashy and no good?
I suppose it could be true…

2 Likes

I did actually laugh out loud on that before I got to the j/k.

ELO and Olivia make it great despite … like all of it.

Hey, I still love the animated Josie and the Pussycats animated series while knowing how bad it is.

4 Likes

ELO is great.

Olivia… meh.

Everything else, including ‘Swan’ from the Warriors?

2 Likes

Not West Side Story?

West%20Side%20Story%2C%20Gee%2C%20Officer%20Krupke%2C%20Krup%20You

6 Likes

I only like In America, and occasionally, I Feel Pretty; when sung ironically by a man.

2 Likes

Summer lovin’, had me a blast
Summer lovin’, happened so fast
I rode into town, packin my guns
intent on havin’ my kiind of fun

Summer days drifting away
But oh, oh those summer gun fights.

5 Likes

We’re through the looking glass people… as each generation creates these nostalgia artifacts drawing on a combination of distant memories and distorted culture via nostalgic adults engaging in one big impossible game of telephone, in another 100 years all movies/music/tv is going to collapse into itself in a mushy stew of “I am sitting in a room”.

Also, gaze upon the weirdness that is a movie about 50s nostalgia featuring… disco.

I keep trying to think of angles that could rescue this from being crap… Might be fun to give it to Tarantino, he hasn’t slapped his schtick on the hotrod movie or the movie musical yet. Or Harmony Korine. Or Penelope Spheeris. Please just take a chance in some way small or large.

I have a lot of fond memories of Bye Bye Birdie but my dad was a film collector in the 70s and I got to watch that on a big screen projected in CinemaScope. Like a lot of that stuff it is all mixed up with memories of the moments that I can’t separate so the films get a boost. Modern musicals I’m gonna avoid like crazy expect for animated Disney stuff.

2 Likes

Sorry for the low quality video…

3 Likes

Nick

4 Likes

I somehow suspect that the bizarre 50s nostalgia (whitebread style) that is represented in Grease, filtered through 3 generations of distortion compares a lot to the insane nostalgia of ‘cowboys’ and the ‘wild west’, now into ten or so generations of distortion.

Now imagine an elderly surviving gunslinger tottering into a movie theatre in 1970 to watch Grease.

1 Like

“Grease” wasn’t really whitebread 50s nostalgia like, say, the contemporaneous “Happy Days” was. That’s not to say it was as raw as “The Wanderers” (1979) or as frank as “American Graffiti” (1973).* However, despite the musical fantasy gloss, “Grease” doesn’t sugarcoat everything about teenage culture in the 1950s. These teenagers smoke, drink, curse, have casual sex (sometimes with the expectation it will be non-consensual), drop out of school, and engage in thuggish bullying and gang violence. It’s also strongly implied that most of the teenagers are from working-class families rather than “Leave It to Beaver” middle-class suburban ones.

That, plus a musical format even more “family-friendly” than “Grease”, is what will really make this prequel seem like alternate-world sci fi to anyone who lived through the late 1950s and early 1960s.

[* “The Wanderers” was set in 1963, “American Graffiti” was set in 1962, but both reflected the 1970s conception of late 1950s teenage culture “Grease” and “Happy Days” portrayed]

6 Likes

I have never, ever imagined why I would want to waste time watching Grease so this seems even more stupid.

Thanks for insulting people who enjoyed Grease…

3 Likes

I kinda hear you on that, but then I accidentally watched West Side Story in college and went, damn! That was pretty good. And then there is Cabaret which is awesome. And then there are the Busby Berkley flicks where most of the dance numbers are just jaw dropping (the plots are kinda flimsy tho).