A harrowing reminder that wild animals are not pets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/15/a-harrowing-reminder-that-wild-animals-are-not-pets.html

2 Likes

The one and only time that I met a warthog on its home turf, my guide told me in no uncertain terms that I should not get out of the vehicle because the ugly pig creature would absolutely fuck me up. People who know warthogs all say that they’re mean as hell and not to be trifled with.

Animals have their own priorities and impulses that we don’t understand. The idea that a 250lb assault pig from a notoriously undomesticatable species owes you any lifelong loyalty is more than a little naive.

27 Likes

Signs that a Warthog might be about to attack.

1. It is a Warthog.
  2. See 1.
23 Likes

Do not fuck with pigs. Pigs will fucking kill you without a sliver of remorse.

In or out of uniform.

19 Likes

Hmmmmm … just about the age when wild male warthogs usually mate, this male warthog becomes aggressive. I think Waylon decided to take out his rival for the affection of Peaches.

19 Likes

Geez; I wouldn’t trust a gentle family dog to be alone with a baby or toddler, because all animals have their own motivations which we don’t completely understand.

5 Likes

Ding ding ding. See also, chimpanzees. And plenty of other males:

10 Likes

In spite of what they might have told you in Sunday School, man does not in fact have dominion over all things.

13 Likes

There are four words that people really need to learn the definitions of: wild, tame, domesticated, and feral.

In particular, the middle two (tame and domesticated) get conflated A LOT.

A tame animal is a wild animal that has been acclimated to human presence. It may even have been taught tricks. For example, the lions, tigers, and bears that are in circuses. But it is still a wild animal and may one day snap and do something wild. Like this warthog. Or that tiger that attacked Roy (of Sigfried and). A tame animal is not domesticated.

A domesticated animal is one that has had its physical and/or behavioral characteristics altered over time via selective breeding. A dog is not a wolf, even though they can be considered the same species.

12 Likes

Hakuna Matata - more like Hakuna Mamurder

That was my thought. That’s why you gotta listen to Bob Barker and spay or neuter your pets.

8 Likes

Kinda like Joe Pesci’s character in Goodfellas.

7ed0c5ee3482648e68d17034e04964ce_w200

4 Likes

This sounds horrifying for that man and his family.

I immediately heard Holly Hunter’s voice in my head yelling “you warthog from hell”

2 Likes

Did the description of the attack seem a bit… man against wild erotic?

“Presenting the M12 LRV. I like to call it The Warthog”

5 Likes

Humans are the problem in ALL of this. The fact that they took ‘revenge’ by killing the warthog is ridiculous. If this idiot didn’t understand the risks, that’s his issue.

3 Likes

Looks more like a Puma to me.

2 Likes

I have named a few of my hunter pets in WoW “Chupathingy” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cats have had about 10,000 years of domestication, but despite that time frame, if they commonly grew to 250 lb, many would not make tolerable companions.

15 Likes
3 Likes

BLS. Reminds me of a story a coworker told me. Well, a “shipmate.” And we were on a ship at the time, so it is, but isn’t, a “sea story.”

Anyway, my man told me of a neighbor of his, who got himself a llama to watch over his sheep. One day, he got to wondering why, every now and then, a sheep would turn up dead. Well, maybe BLS or maybe “that age” for males? Or both? Between that and the llama biting his leg while he climbing out of the pen, he was informed by the guy who sold it to him that it was a “Bad Llama,” and he needed to kill it. “Just kill it.” I took that as a caveat emptor response to any discussion of a refund.

4 Likes