A history of humanzees, born from female chimps impregnated with human sperm

Originally published at: A history of humanzees, born from female chimps impregnated with human sperm | Boing Boing

1 Like

27 Likes

This is some weird transference of authority to imply credibility.

“A respected researcher (who has little direct experience in genetics) says he heard from some other guy about a lab that supposedly bred a human-chimp hybrid a century ago—long before genetic testing would have been able to confirm such a feat—then destroyed all the evidence.”

35 Likes

Reading this made me feel a little queasy.

11 Likes

He knew a guy who knew a guy.

21 Likes

19 Likes

A history of humanzees:

[this space intentionally left blank - there is no history of humanzees]

26 Likes

This story is not true.

22 Likes

If a credible person hears a rumor then the rumor itself automatically becomes credible. That’s just basic science.

29 Likes

Transitive property.

19 Likes

An impossible at the time human-chimp hybrid, using a technique guaranteed to fail, no less. One of these cases where “more technical details” does not convey authenticity to the story.

Although if you want to talk about cells, there’s a recent history, at least. E.g.:

But I suppose calling some cells “humanzees” is just far too silly to be allowed.

10 Likes

I doubt the truth of this story. The pigman, on the other hand…

7 Likes

The linked story references Russian biologist Ivanovich Ivanov, who received state backing for his attempts to make human-ape hybrids (apparently with the goal of breeding some kind of Soviet super-soldiers for Stalin) but doesn’t mention the satirical opera he inspired about a half-man, half-orangutan protagonist.

The composer one of the writers was executed by the government before the opera was completed because of course he was.

10 Likes

I, for one, will be entirely unsurprised when it turns out that Gordon Gallup had a side hustle as a chimpanzee fertility doctor, and when his patient’s offspring use 23AndMe to investigate their background, it turns out he used his own sperm the whole time.

ETA: Florida. This explains a lot about Ron DeSantis.

7 Likes

Chimps have 48 chromosomes, humans 46. No way for the resulting fusion to be viable. Nice story, though. The fact that 96% of genes are shared between the species makes it seem possible, but somewhere along the line 2 ancestral chromosomes fused to become human chromosome 2. No equivalent in the chimp egg, so no viable embryo.

23 Likes

Thanks, I hate it,

2 Likes

Dmitri Shostakovitch died in 1975.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Actually one of the two librettists was executed. (Why the other one wasn’t… I don’t know.)

4 Likes

In other words… close, but no It’s a Boy! cigar.

2 Likes