A history of humanzees, born from female chimps impregnated with human sperm

Hey if they were both plants it might work.

I just really hope it was misguided science of the time and not a way to fund someone’s desire to have sex with a chimpanzee.

4 Likes

Like that’s never happened?

3 Likes

download
Clearly, some cross breeding has occurred, to the detriment of chimps~

13 Likes

Jake the Alligator Man is real, though! missing link found in Florida swamp, now on display in Long Beach, WA.
and I seen 'im!

7 Likes

D’oh, you’re right. I mixed up the composer (Shostakovich) with the librettist (Starchakov).

8 Likes

This was also fiction.

1 Like

What the History of Yesterday article claims their linked source says:

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 1.53.20 PM

What their linked source actually says:

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 1.53.50 PM

C’mon, man. That’s just some embarrassingly bad reportage.

11 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

Humans also share a 98% DNA similarity with pigs, ya know.

1 Like

So is this what Rick Santorum was on about?

I don’t know…I think I might need to hear it repeated a few textbooks before it becomes genuinely plausible.

Evidence

9 Likes

Strictly speaking wrt to humans, there are (very rare but real) medical precedents for this actual term:

5 Likes

2 Likes

By itself, that does not make hybridization nonviable. After all, mules and hinnies are hybrids of a horse with 64 chromosomes and a donkey with 62. This generally renders them sterile, but definitely viable. (“Generally” sterile, because while the 63-chromosome hybrid does not produce viable germ cells through normal meiosis, it can still experience failures, e.g. nondisjunction, which can result in a viable 31 or 32 chromosome germ cell, so mules have been known to produce offspring on extremely rare occasions.)

But in the case of humans and chimpanzees, the bigger problem may be the fact that the karyotypes differ in the second-largest chromosome - a large discrepancy between the genomes makes it more likely that the hybrid might not live long enough to be born. There’s a reason why the most commonly seen anomalous karyotype in humans is trisomy 21, aka Down syndrome, which involves the second-smallest autosomal chromosome: most issues involving larger chromosomes are lethal early in embryonic development.

3 Likes

Was this on Boing Boing already?

It simply MUST have been on Boing Boing already

2 Likes

Weirding ways indeed…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.