A Hungarian cover of the Stones' "Honky Tonk Women"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/25/a-hungarian-cover-of-the-stone.html

2 Likes

…in this rousing cover…

I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

6 Likes

The thing that surprised me about this is that the Stones wrote Honky Tonk Woman. I always assumed it was a cover. Still, it needs more cowbell.

This is the real Hungarian cover of the song from Z’zi Labor: https://goo.gl/UxDck8
I assume with the same folk sing group, Graingerettes. But the official title says “Z’zi Labor and the Veresegyházi Asszonykórus”.
Veresegyházi Asszonykórus = Women’s Choir from Veresegyháza (a town in Hungary). Was quite a hit back in the day.

6 Likes

“I met a gin soaked bar-room queen” in… Buda

FTFY so it scans. Buda and Pest are separated by the Danube.

4 Likes

I do not think the nice ladies understand syncopation.

2 Likes

“La Movida Madrileña” Hungarian style

So was this originally a joke? Or was it done earnestly?

It’s hard to fully enjoy the clip without this knowledge, because while the things to laugh at don’t change, the REASON for the amusement is different.

The embellishments are just so…soulful. :face_vomiting:

Should you long to own the even more hungarian version linked by MaxLamer, it’s of course available on vinyl Z'Zi Labor - Faképnél Történő Hagyás | Releases | Discogs :smiley:

1 Like

Well, it’s either Budapest, or if you start talking about them separately, then it’s Buda, Óbuda and Pest. Budapest is the result of these 3 cities merging.

My partner and I once during the 90s happened to be in Budapest, and went to what can only be described as a Soviet-era-esque restaurant behind the Comic Opera House - waiters who literally waited, for ages, before they came to take our order; red velvet curtains that were so moth-eaten they were a monument to the abiding strength of cotton and, only possibly, silk (cannibalism of a sort…); chipped tableware with gilt edging that had been dishwashed to a femtometre of non existence; and the piano player. Oh, the piano player. Keen, was he, to take requests from the diners therein…we got him going on Sinatra numbers and to this day whenever Fly Me To The Moon, Witchcraft or Autumn in New York comes on the proverbial radio we both start laughing and approximating his renditions. “Vly me toocha moo” is as close I can get given the constraints of the written word.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.