A lawyer debunks five myths about beating traffic tickets

Because cops never, ever, ever exercise their discretion in whom to cite and whom to warn and whom to ignore? /s

Christ, what an asshole!

The only excuse that has ever worked for me, which may even have constitutional grounding for not detaining me or delaying me in my task:

I’ve got to pick up my assistant poll worker and set up our polling place downtown by 7 AM – I didn’t see you because this ballot box piled on top of these unopened boxes of ballots was blocking my view through the rear window.

(valid only early on election morning)

5 Likes

There are a lot of Quebecois drivers in my state year-round, and they almost uniformly drive like utter assholes. Why? Because of the paperwork, and the cops know they can process at least 2 US citizens’ tickets in the time it takes to deal with one Quebecois (maybe 3 or more US citizens if they pull the “no speaka da English” line), and I’ve also heard that they also can’t force the Canadians to pay the tickets.

Normally it takes the Bleu et Blancs going at least 25 over the limit before they’ll get pulled over.

1 Like

A friend of mine, who would get pulled over more often then me, advised me to never, ever offer an explanation as to why I’d been speeding. It’s essentially an admission of guilt (“anything you say will be used against you”). The only response should be, “I didn’t realize I was speeding.” Though when I first tried this, it made the officer really agitated – or seem agitated. I think he wanted me to say anything else.

But yeah, his main strategy was to reschedule, more than once if possible. He got out of multiple (more than 1) tickets when the officer didn’t show.

The best way is simply to hire an attorney to deal with it. It will probably cost as much as the fine but I’ve had positive outcomes. Sometimes it doesn’t take much for prosecutors to cry uncle if you fight a measly speeding ticket.

I saw this point made in that ‘never talk to the police video’. When pulled over for speeding and asked if they know how fast they were driving, people will frequently admit to driving a few mph over the limit rather than the much higher speed they actually know they were doing.

Whoops - you just confessed to speeding. Ticket for you!

Perhaps it is dependent on circumstances? Some judges might get pissy with cops who never show up to help prosecute the tickets they hand out, etc.

Whatever the circumstances, I imagine having the case thrown out because the cop doesn’t show up becomes much, much harder if you’ve had the case adjourned 3 times earlier…

It might depend on the nature of the evidence? Red light camera vs. cop with radar? I don’t know, but showing up to court when the officer didn’t worked for me in Michigan.

I remember going to fight a jaywalking ticket and being disappointed that the cop didn’t show. I hardly broke either the letter or spirit of the law. I was a foot from the lines of the crosswalk as I crossed, and the specific citation actually has to do with walking along the road like it’s a sidewalk. In the cop’s defense, she was stopping everyone that looked Hispanic and shaggy that day. I happened to be going to the store in my pajamas and looked like a bum. When I didn’t have a heavy Mexican accent, I could tell she was surprised. When I gave her my student ID she asked about my citizenship. I told her that I didn’t have any documents on me that verified it (and I didn’t need any in my state) and that my passport was at home. She asked why I didn’t have my passport with me. I told her matter-of-factly that I would normally have it on my person if I lived in a foreign country, but that I didn’t.

I started paying close attention to this phenomenon in my neighborhood which happened a few hundred yards from my apartment. Cops would show up, cite Hispanics (who made up half the neighborhood) who were crossing the road and were the least likely to defend themselves or fight the ticket. I was ultimately disappointed that I couldn’t make my case. I’d rather have lost in a weird way.

That said, the end of this article is incredibly fitting. I don’t argue with people about the law anymore. I’m not a lawyer and my legal training has been fairly minimal, but I’ve learned more than most laypeople. The first thing I noticed about the law was how many people will insist they know the law better than anybody else. I’ve talked to attorneys who can’t get clients to take their advice because everyone thinks that law is a simple enough field. After all, you just have to read the law and apply it, right? Even people who understand precedent and the hierarchy of the courts deceive themselves. In fact, it seems the more educated the person, the less likely they are to take a lawyer’s sound and competent advice. Here’s a tip for anyone who ever needs or hires a lawyer: As long as you don’t have a solid basis to doubt their competence, listen to the fucker. Their job is actually to know more than you about the law.

5 Likes

When I moved to where I currently live I managed to get a red-light ticket the first weekend I arrived. As it was automated that meant I didn’t know about it until I received the citation in the mail - which, as it was sent to my old address and then forwarded meant that I didn’t have notice until after the court date. I requested a re-hearing, and they then did the same damn thing for the re-hearing notice. I then appealed and won - because they had lost the case file. It took nine months to get the ticket deposit back too.

3 Likes

It depends on who’s issuing the ticket, in some cases extra fines can be added for attempting to contest.

Always read the fine print

2 Likes

Exactly. The author of the Jalopnik article is being irresponsible to represent something about traffic court to be true everywhere in all 50 states. Traffic court in particular is very localized and policies can vary by locality.
With respect to dismissing a ticket when the officer doesn’t show, it’s important to note that under the 6th Amendment you have a right to confront your accuser before being convicted of a crime. So if a traffic ticket is a criminal infraction in your state then no cop = no conviction. However, note that in some states I think some traffic violations are considered civil so the Confrontation Clause may not apply. (Another reason why it’s stupid to write a blanket article on this topic).
The author says that it’s a myth that tickets will be dismissed “automatically” when the cop doesn’t appear – but then in the full text he explains it’s only a myth because the judge (who is actually not called a judge in many traffic courts around the country) may decide to call the case back when the officer is there. Obviously a lot of localities would decide it’s more efficient to dismiss all cases in that situation.
In California, the Evidence code says that if the officer does not appear the judge may either dismiss or reschedule the trial; that decision is likely set by local policy and in many cases may in fact be “automatic.”

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s probably a good thing you’re not a lawyer.

“In my client’s defense, he didn’t just rob the bank, he ALSO robbed the thrift shop next door!”

Yawn.

They have gotten out of so many tickets using these and other top secret methods that the police have simply given up trying. Go ahead and tell us all about it.

Did I say I have gotten out of a ticket using this mechanism? Is there anything that I wrote that you think is untrue?

Both IIRC. Story told in DA’s Salmon of Doubt.

I don’t think I wrote what you think I meant, or something like that.

I can’t speak to what you MEANT, but when you say, “In so-and-so’s DEFENSE…” you usually mean that what you’re about to say next is something that will reflect better on them than what you were talking about before would imply. In your case, you said you were ticketed for bull$!%$ reasons and didn’t break the spirit or law. But, “in the cop’s defense”, she was stopping everyone that looked Hispanic and shaggy that day. So it looks like either you are implying “she was targeting people who looked Hispanic and shaggy, not because they committed any crime but just because they looked Hispanic and shaggy” is a good thing and you just accidentally got caught up into it and wrongly ticketed, so what she did to you was excusable or otherwise not that bad,or you’re using the term ironically, or you didn’t really think about what you meant when you said “in the cop’s defense.”

Again, no idea what you meant (when I posted I assumed it was one of the latter two, though), but in my book, a cop stopping everyone who looked Hispanic and shaggy and also wrongly ticketing you is WORSE than a cop simply wrongly ticketing you and you alone.

1 Like

Ahhh, I see. I thought you were referring to something else. That phrasing was meant to be sarcastic.

Ha. And when I contested my traffic ticket, to request a court date I had to first pay the fine in full. Guess how motivated they were to hear me out and issue me that refund…

Of all the people I saw contesting tickets that day, not one was found innocent, but a good third of the cases were thrown out because the cop didn’t show up.