A list of all the booze in Casablanca (surprisingly long!)

The one that impressed me was Val Kilmer making himself sick drinking iced tea out of whiskey bottles in order to film “The Doors”.

1 Like

What, you’ve never had the sobriety nightmare? Or even worse, the “Prohibition II” doozy?!? I’m getting shivers just thinking about it, thank goodness I keep a mini-bar in my filing cabinet.

4 Likes

Dammit, what is she doing with her right hand?

1 Like

She’s keeping the fur sleeve in-shot.

Today’s actors wouldn’t even be able to wear a coat, while sitting at a table. No standards anymore.

3 Likes

No, it looks like she’s catching something in the last second.

A Feench 75 is quite excellent and not as sweet as you might think. Most often a splash of simple syrup is used instead of the direct sugar. And traditionally the Champage used is a Brut…not something sweet like a Prosecco.

2 local places to me do a French 75 on their brunch menus. One uses brut and cognac with the simple syrup, the other drops the extra sugar and uses a Prosecco instead of brut champagne. Both are tasty as hell and much better than a Mimosa (which isn’t too bad from time to time either) IMO.

EDIT: Uh…all the gin joints and no one ever drank any actual gin?!? There has to be some irony here and I don’t see it mentioned. Anyone else notice this?

7 Likes

It could be a lo-res gif frame stutter.

If it was a different movie I’d say it was the stuff that dreams are made of.

2 Likes

peaky-blinders-tommy-sad

5 Likes

No one has mentioned the drinking in Black Books!

black-books-pub-closes-five

9 Likes

Besides there being a lot of drinking in the book (which took place during prohibition) the screenplay was written just after prohibition. BOOZE EVERYONE BOOZE!

ETA I see @tuhu beat me to the gif…

5 Likes

9 Likes

I also use gin in a French 75. And have never used sugar or simple syrup. Since we never have any leftover bubbly, and can’t get half-bottles of good brut around here, I also came up with the Belgian 75 - replacing the sparkling wine with a nice gueuze lambic.

One thing nobody here has mentioned about the French 75 is that it will fuck. you. up.

6 Likes

In these old movies beer is a blue collar drink.

3 Likes

Yes, gin is the standard recipe.

3 Likes

Prosecco Brut exists, and is drier than “Extra Dry” Prosecco (but is still not real champagne).

1 Like

People order drinks in a bar? I’m shocked.

It lacks Hemingway’s brutal simplicity, however.

3 Likes

I am shocked, shocked, to find drinking going on here! Your champagne, sir.

1 Like

Properly served these should be consumed three at a time. As the name might suggest the first is for range, the second for elevation and the third should be right on target.

3 Likes

Doesn’t, like, 80% of Casablanca take place at Rick’s bar? I’m shocked that there’s drinking at this establishment!

1 Like