A list of Reddit users' best purchases of 2020

Too late.

1 Like

I’ll never grow tired of this @beschizza classic

4 Likes

The issue with the slowly lowering toilet seats is when you return to going to friend’s houses and you accidentally slam there toilet seat down.

2 Likes

I strongly resent your tip about cheating on Libby return dates. I already wait long enough for library ebooks that I have to put holds on 20 books at a time in two counties.

1 Like

I got a good 2 decades of 20/20 vision out of LASIK, but for some reason in my 40s my vision started drifting toward nearsightedness, around the same time as presbyopia. Now this laptop screen is in focus for me without correction but distance vision impossible without glasses. Presbyopia really ruins the appeal of LASIK because even multifocal LASIK will never be as good as multifocal glasses.

Does the Libby app do anything to help ‘dedicated’ Kindles like my Paperwhite, or is it only for Kindle Fire tablets?

But but but… I want magic! Maybe the BBStore will come through for me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It’s one of those interesting things, I’m not sure I know any physicians that have had it done. My wife is a surgeon, she won’t go near it. One of the few friends from high school I still am in touch with is a radiologist and she also won’t go near it. I on the other hand as a mountain sports enthusiast love not having to worry about remembering to put in contacts before I head out to do something fun.

I guess LASIK is good for lazy people like me.

3 Likes

Good outcome for something with a name very close to ‘Brundelswash.’ Benedict Cumberfly will hopefully concur.

Yeah, here’s hoping deep red lights fun is good for something besides the conversations.

It depends on the library and the book. It’ll say something like, “Supports: Libby, Kindle, Adobe-compatible reader” because you might get books that either aren’t licensed or aren’t formatted for Kindle. If it does support Kindle, once you connect it to your account, it just shows up in your library so you can grab it from any device; cloud reader, Kindle paperwhite, phone/desktop app, etc.

Most public libraries have been very helpful and knowledgeable. My wife’s grandmother never owned a smartphone or a computer and her library would help her check out books for her e-ink Kindle.

1 Like

Do they have a similar aversion to PRK?

I’m doing my best not to jump in. I’ll just say this: Get a bidet! Wash yo’ ass!

1 Like

Yes! Both toilets in the house have slow-close lids. On bidets.

The only downside is I forget most public toilets, and all my friends & relatives, do not have slow closers. I’m considered pretty uncouth for all the lid-slamming I do.

1 Like

My best purchase this year was membership in a print arts studio collective that includes equipment use & training. It’s in biking distance & costs less than a daily cup of coffee or a streaming service. They’re staying open by appointment at 20% capacity during shutdown. Learning to carve & print woodcuts (& sharpen tools!) has saved my sanity this year. In 2021 I hope to learn stone lithography & how to use a Risograph.

5 Likes

I would assume so.

I don’t think I’d do the “refresh”. My wife had it done and she hated it. They can’t use the blade to recut your cornea (due to infection issues) so they had to dissolve the cornea with a chemical (Acid maybe? I’m no opthalmologist.) and they made her wear a contact lens for a week until she had enough corneal cells regenerated. Her vision was never the same and she is back in glasses. My LASIK has lasted a good 15 years or so, but starting to fade.

2 Likes

I also remember a part of the book about the famous ill-fated everest climb – I think it was Into Thin Air – where late in the journey, one of the climbers confessed to the guide that due to the air pressure changes, LASIK wasn’t working on his eyes any more and he had terrible vision.

2 Likes

Oof. I had heard the military has disqualified pilots (maybe just fighter pilots?) who have had LASIK. I believe they approved of PRK, which has a rougher recovery. But I thought they had recently lifted a lot of those blanket disqualifications.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.