A list of Reddit users' best purchases of 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/10/a-list-of-reddit-users-best-purchases-of-2020.html

3 Likes

Mark, the first link appears to be broken.

1 Like

Fixed, thank you!

3 Likes

+1 on Libby. Our library is physically closed, but many of their books are available online.

4 Likes

One of the best purchases I made this year were Ikea Fyrtur automated roller blinds (connected to the Tradfri smart home hub). Until I had them installed and running I didn’t realise how much time I spent walking through my place putting up the blinds and putting them down every day. Now the blinds go up and down, partially or fully, according to schedule without my having to think about them. Total game changer.

There are other companies that make automated blinds in a wider variety of colours, but they’re far more expensive. If you go for the Ikea ones, get the full blackout blinds. The semi-opaque are near transparent.

5 Likes

I 100% concur on the lasik (15 years on now) and the bidet. My wife wanted the bidet and I was pretty sure it would be good but it’s better than good. I’ll probably end up putting them on all the toilets when my son is a little bigger.

4 Likes

Samesies. I don’t even know how I’ll be able to use a garbage toilet once the pandemic’s over.

3 Likes

I’m planning on buying a bidet seat as well. Recommendations welcome from anyone happy with theirs.

3 Likes

Loving the Brondell Swash 1400. I found a refurb and it was a fantastic deal.

3 Likes

I got the Bio-Bidet BB-600 a couple of years ago. I wasn’t particularly interested in getting it, but it has been awesome. Not having to enter the Covid Toilet Paper Wars arena earlier this year didn’t hurt either.

Also, got LASIK 20 years ago after having awful vision in my teens and agree with that take too–having good vision without corrective lenses was life-altering for me. Too bad my vision is starting to decline in my 40s :neutral_face:

4 Likes

@gracchus I concur with the brondel swash 1400. One of my big feature must-haves was a seat lid you can actually sit on. With a small child that’s pretty important. I was surprised to find that most bidet lids can’t be sat on.

5 Likes

Yeah now that I’m in my mid 40s my right eye is dropping off from the 20/20 lasik correction. Not badly yet though. My 20/15 left eye is still a champ though.

If my vision got bad enough that I needed correction and a doc said they could get me another 15 years I’d do it in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Oh my dearies, please don’t let this turn into the bidet thread. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Are any of these must-have amazing items available at the Boing Boing store?

Nope, didn’t think so,

4 Likes

Thanks to all for the bidet recommendations. And remember, kids, bidet or no bidet…

2 Likes

I have two fancy toilet seats that slowly lower - like magic, no more THUNK… they came with my $380,000 house. Worth every penny IMHO.

4 Likes

fancy toilet seats that slowly lower” is kind of an overstatement. You can buy them for about $20 at a home-improvement store. I totally agree that they’re nice, though.

5 Likes

And here I was expecting these to be gift suggestions

Team Soggy Butt, reporting for duty!

3 Likes

Seconded. A friend has chickens in his back yard and I was truly surprised how much fun it was to hang out with him (this was over a year ago) drinking a beer, watching the chickens do their quirky little chicken things… :chicken:

Tempted, but lasers making permanent changes to my eyes scares the crap out of me. And everyone knows glasses make you smarter, so … :dark_sunglasses:

3 Likes