A madman has been given the keys to the surveillance state

I said there would be no articles here today about “OMGWTF Clinton now controls the surveillance state” and I stand by that exact comment.

Yeah, in six months or a year there would be an article or two about the abuses of power under Clinton, but they wouldn’t get too much traction, and 90% of boingboing would vote to re elect her anyway.

1 Like

Do you expect America to be at war shortly?

If so, with whom?

ETA:

7 Likes

I’d say with everybody but Russia and Canada. Justin Trudeau is too busy kissing Trumps ass while Putin and Trump are practically making out. Ewww… need thought bleach now… sorry all.

3 Likes

Is it naive of me to hope he will repeal a bunch of the extra layers of bullshit with the surveillance state apparatus?

3 Likes

I’m frightened, and I’m a big white guy. The women who came out of hiding to lodge accusations of rape and harrassment against trump? Katy Tur of NBC? David Farenthold at WaPo? Hillary Clinton? Clearly, trump likes playing fast and loose with the laws when he’s merely a citizen, so I’m sure he’ll tone that down even further as the elected head of the country. :upside_down:

8 Likes
8 Likes

So you’re saying that you do not accept that a sovereign government should not have command or control over an armed military as part of the state’s monopoly over coercive power? Because that’s the epitome of the dangerous power of the sovereign state., and is essentially required in order to keep the state from failure.

4 Likes

How is it exaggerated? What, in trump’s election-year blatherings or in the blatherings of his surrogates would lead you to believe he won’t abuse that system?

13 Likes

No. That’s not your “exact comment”. Here is your exact comment:

And you should feel comfortable in asserting that precisely because there is no evidence to suggest she would have.

6 Likes

It reminds me of the old joke:

What do you call a fifty-foot tall monster, with a hundred eyes, a thousand sharp, pointy teeth, and a bad temper?

Sir.

7 Likes

Trump is in the position of a philosopher king. Free to rule wisely. Free to rule badly. Free to rule as he wishes without constraint. Does that give you some comfort, knowing what you know of Trump’s character?

4 Likes

We can have an armed military without having a post-9/11 surveillance state.

Back when we had millions of soldiers fighting Germany and Japan, I could have boarded a plane with a pocket knife, walked into a courthouse without being searched, and made a phone call with no fear of its being overheard unless a specific warrant had been received. We seemed to handle our foreign enemies pretty decisively without any of that.

2 Likes

Did you see how easily Clinton knew exactly what to say (and when) to get Trump entirely off-message and frothing in the debates?

Trump is easy to manipulate. Plus, he’ll be the child in every international meeting, blissfully unaware that he’s not really charming everyone, they’re just patting his head and going about adult business right over him.

So you know, the Electoral College doesn’t happen until December. Technically, he hasn’t won until they say so.

9 Likes

Can’t disagree with those particulars. But I was addressing the more general statement that you disagreed with the statement that a modern state requires access to and control over dangerous powers.

3 Likes

Yeah, they will have to vote the way their states told them to vote. If they don’t prepare for real political unrest.

This is not a good idea. Period. As flawed as the system is and how badly we need a better voting system, abuse or breaking the system we have would be very, very bad.

If anyone disagrees, think about your reaction if Hillary won the electoral college, but then they didn’t vote that way?

3 Likes

I was merely clarifying a specific fact to someone who is not a citizen and doesn’t live here. I didn’t give any opinion on it.

3 Likes

I wonder how bad it’s going to get before americans stop whining about the DNC and realize what they’ve actually done.

3 Likes

Ah, the same person who said “Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to President Trump. It’s everyone who’s ever doubted Donald, who ever disagreed, who ever challenged him. It is the ultimate revenge to become the most powerful man in the universe.”

4 Likes

That, and the minor detail that he’s probably not of Japanese descent.

3 Likes

This whole thinking of “well, trump will be kept in check by [XYZ]”? He and his merry band of sycophants won’t. They now have the keys to the kingdom and sadly, we’re all along for the murder/death/kill ride.

4 Likes