A man and his boss are driving through an Alabama tornado and capture it on video

Originally published at: A man and his boss are driving through an Alabama tornado and capture it on video | Boing Boing

9 Likes

They’re lucky to be alive. These tornadoes did significant damage to the area. Aside from the so-far 5 dead, there are still people missing.

These tornadoes were “long track” tornadoes, which are unusual but becoming more frequent. Instead of forming, touching down, and then disappearing within a few minutes, these hang around and are enormously destructive.

19 Likes

Holy shit! These guys are damned lucky that a tree branch didn’t fly into the van or that electrical line you can see hanging at the end of the video didn’t fall on it.

Tornados are no joke, even a “small” one.

14 Likes

Did anyone get picked up and dropped onto a power substation transformer? That was my favorite from the 1989 Huntsville tornado.

Yeah, play the big money lottery, you’ve already won the “stay alive” lottery…

5 Likes

That last-second right turn facing downwind almost certainly saved them from having their van flipped.

2 Likes

I’m gonna start hanging out with my boss and everywhere we go I’ll refer to and introduce her as “my boss”.

This neighborhood is my old stomping ground. I had friends in high school who lived in it, so I visited frequently - many a game of Dawn Patrol and D&D were played in one of these houses - and I attended Pelham HS, which apparently was also damaged. I hate seeing this.

6 Likes

“Aw, hail no”.

Well, he’s praying to the right god I suppose…

3 Likes

Someone lost a hell of a lot of pink flamingos at one point in the video

3 Likes

I guess that truck doesn’t go in reverse? Nope, gotta drive towards that dark cloud that’s touching the ground, make sure there’s no BLM or Antifa in there. Seriously, these tornadoes are only “deadly” because of human encroachment. If there were no people there, the tornadoes would just go about their business, like bears and rattlesnakes. This is why you always see tornado bites on a person’s hands and arms.

4 Likes

Two reckless fools are driving through an Alabama tornado and capture it on video

FIFY

4 Likes

It’s okay. They had the windshield wipers on.

6 Likes

I’m very disappointed not to have seen a cow passing by.

5 Likes

My old house is in the next neighborhood over. A bunch of houses were damaged there too, though I don’t know if it was one of them. With all the trees around - a neighborhood of cul-de-sacs with treed lots - I can’t imagine that it wasn’t.

5 Likes

Are you OK?

4 Likes

All good. We moved about 90 miles north of there a few years ago. While we were also in the high risk forecast area up here, all we ended up with was a ton of rain. (And we’re on a hill, so even that wasn’t a worry for us personally.) Lucked out.

6 Likes

Mea culpa. It just seemed like bad judgment (which knows no regional bounds) was the only explanation for getting so close to a twister. As you point out, that is an unwarranted assumption.

1 Like

HR representative: “So, sir. Why do you want to work for us? Do you have any experience in storm chasing?”

Cesar Villaseñor pulls out cellphone

3 Likes

Glad to know It. The sight of houses hit by tornadoes is frightening. The houses look like they’ve been blown up by war artillery.

5 Likes