A most dramatic lane change

On Southern California freeways, we call that “Thursday”.

7 Likes

I suspect it is a manual, but you can see the reverse lights as the car spins back around toward the correct direction. I’m not sure they would have been able to straighten up if a little reverse acceleration (in the direction of everyone else’s travel) wasn’t applied.

2 Likes

Once saw a little Honda coming onto the Interstate where the ice started and do a 360 in own lane and just keep on without skipping a beat.

3 Likes

Given the vast number of mad videos I’ve seen, in Russia they call it “everyday.”

3 Likes

That sounds absolutely fucking terrifying.

6 Likes

and minus several million for good thinking. Thank you Zaphod.

3 Likes

I once went completely sideways round a roundabout due to an unexpected rainstorm after weeks of dry weather, but that is some straight-up 80s action movie level bad shit.

4 Likes

Your experience was plenty scary enough, I’m sure!

I once spun out hard during a rainy freeway commute. To this day I don’t know how it happened. No one else was nearby, and when it was over, those who slowly passed by rolled down their windows and asked if I was OK. I asserted that I was, got the Oldsmobile’s nose pointing the right way (she came to rest facing the outer verge), and went back on my oh so merry way. At least I had an amusing tale for my fellow wage slaves.

Another time I spun out during a nasty winter’s night. The tire slipped off the edge of the road, and I went swirling into a big, tree-filled, and very water-filled ditch beside the road. The Oldsmobile (I adored both Oldseses I drove) came to a sudden halt less than a foot before she would’ve slammed the passenger side of her arse into a tree. The tailpipe was well under water. Somehow I got out w/o taking a freezing bath, and despite sitting for over an hour, she started right up after the tow truck driver pulled her out. Glad I was wearing a greasemonkey’s coverall and engineer boots and not a dress and little heels!

When I was much younger, a fake friend somehow spun her little Honda exactly 360° on a grooved, perfectly dry freeway curve. Grooved lanes were supposed to prevent spin-outs, so her mean girl magic must have enabled it. No other drivers were nearby. Scared hell out of all four of us, and I saw her hands tighten on the wheel as she took us through that curve again on the way home. We were going to see The Residents, so it was well worth that brief but hardcore carnival ride.

5 Likes

Gosh I hate when that happens to me. Stupid car.

3 Likes

I was driving down Crowchild Trail in Calgary in the middle of winter in an '82 Honda Prelude when the front end began to drift to the right (they don’t normally plough the roads so it packs down to an icy surface). I was in a big sweeping curve about 6 lanes across and was the only car on the road - between waves of vehicles. I very slowly corrected to the left and it drifted further left. I again slowly corrected and it continued to drift to the right this time. The oscillations got worse and finally got so bad that I took my hands off the wheel and my feet off the pedals, folded my arms and watched a double height steel light pole get larger and larger in the rear view mirror. Nobody had driven in the paved shoulder so the car gently slid to a stop in about 10-15cm (4-6 inches) of fluffy snow, about a car length from the pole.
I put the car in gear and continued on my way to work as the next wave of cars came blasting down the road behind me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.