Unusual car crash in Atlanta

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/28/unusual-car-crash-in-atlanta.html

8 Likes

If he didn’t have an appt at that chiropractor’s office, he will now.

22 Likes

That first CCTV shot is perfect. The end where the car goes out of frame and then bits fly back into the shot couldn’t be better if you planed it.

24 Likes

I seriously doubt that “his foot got stuck between the pedals”…wouldn’t he just be able to pull his foot back, slowing the car before it crashed?
That looked like he was mostly maintaining speed, even accelerating.
Guy was just high or something.

3 Likes

I imagine the foot could have been wedged between a depressed accelerator and the brake in the undepressed position. From there he panicked.

4 Likes

They have a walk in clinic, but they’ve been thinking about putting in a drive through.

24 Likes

car crash

Atlanta

That sounds about right.

unusual

I dunno… it’s Atlanta… have you checked?

7 Likes

nothing to do with the LIVE zuckerberg take-down

This never would have happened if kids these days learned to drive stick.

6 Likes

Parking lot and office roof are at same level. https://goo.gl/maps/wcUZYKZ4Q6q

6 Likes

A reporter on location explains a bit more on this video: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/841331324

3 Likes

ludacris-atlanta

7 Likes

All that’s needed now is a close up of the guy in the garage pulling the liquor bottle out of his pocket, looking at it, looking at the upside-down car, looking back at the liquor bottle, and then tossing it in the trash, a la Otis the Drunk from the Andy Griffith Show.

8 Likes

yourUber
Your UBER is here!

15 Likes

He was 63. While it does look similar to a medical emergency, perhaps a stroke, seizure, blackout, or other disabling incident, it really just highlights how he was ignorant about his automatic transmission; shifting into neutral is the super simple solution. You just bump your shifter forward! Then brake with handbrake if necessary. It’s a universal emergency feature - you don’t press the gear shift button; just bump the stick forward. Everyone with an automatic needs to know how to do this.

9 Likes

NTSB should require cars to be designed so that when overturned, they wiggle their wheels like helpless turtles

24 Likes

I guess you shouldn’t try to drive off when Jean Grey is thumbing a lift.

jean

2 Likes

Probably somebody thought they could beat Baby

2 Likes

I had a scare a while back where this happened to me. Was pulling out through a lane of stopped traffic into the far lane, and a truck I hadn’t seen came up pretty fast. What was supposed to happen: I pull my foot of the gas and pump the brake in one fluid motion. What did happen: I snagged my flip flop on the edge of the brake pedal such that when I was trying to pump the brake, I actually gunned it and almost hit the guard rail while getting t-boned by the truck. It all happened in the span of a fraction of a second, but it scared the piss out of me.

Now I drive completely naked so that my clothing can’t interfere with the operation of my automobile.

15 Likes

Please don’t drive in flip flops. You’re better off kicking them off and driving barefoot.

12 Likes