A Nest doorbell locks door when it confuses homeowner with his Batman shirt

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/18/a-nest-doorbell-locks-a-man-ou.html

5 Likes

Sounds pretty successful to me, actually. It identified an image of a human face, just not the right one. So what happens when someone has a picture of someone who is authorized? Does it have backup features like the iPhone?

13 Likes

I think Nest made the right call with that face. Batman looks pissed. I wouldn’t want anyone in that emotional state near my family, let alone the Dark Knight.

4 Likes

24 Likes

Stupid Hal doesn’t even know Batman’s real name is Bruce.

3 Likes

In this particular case the issue is that the door was unlocked and the nest system locked the door when it saw an unidentified person. It sounds to me like it was not configured to do the opposite: unlock a locked door for an identified person. When you look at the full frame it seems likely that the face recognizer identified both the man and the bat man, but only flagged the latter as unknown and triggered the lock.

6 Likes

Secret identity is supposed to be secret.

3 Likes

Good to know Nest stops Batman. You know, just in case.

4 Likes

corollary: it is probably sufficient to have the home owner’s face on your shirt to gain entry.

8 Likes

Agreed. I was going to say they should be programmed to always let in Batman, but not when he’s freaking out like that.

2 Likes
5 Likes

11 Likes

So those villains’ lairs, with their crooked floors, should all invest in Nest?

10 Likes

I can see it now: kid brings over new friend or date. Hilarity ensues.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Unlike Superman, where the hero is the mask, Bruce Wayne is the mask and Batman the identity.

2 Likes

I’m frankly amazed it locked the door fast enough to mater.

I own a Nest door bell (but not the door lock, I may be dumb enough to put my door bell online, but I’m no where close to wanting my door locks online), and I regularly don’t get the notices that I am at the door until I’ve manually unlocked it, walked inside, re-locked it, and made it half way up the stairs.

I would hope that it would instantly open up a secret cave entrance with a miffed Alfred Pennyworth tired of looking for the garage door opener glitch.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.