A new GOP ad asks Republicans to "speak out against President Trump"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/17/a-new-gop-ad-asks-republicans.html

4 Likes

we got him this time for sure

12 Likes

I am enjoying watching Republicans trying desperately to distance themselves and their party from the fruits of their own labors. Almost as much as I am intent on not letting them get away with it.

31 Likes

nT_3src7v5hu56p0acra7sixgse_300

25 Likes

First President Trump pressured a vulnerable ally…

First? So this Ukraine thing was the first thing that Trump did that was morally suspect? These people must have some very strong morals. Strong in the sense that someone with a very strong gut is very good at withstanding rotten food.

21 Likes

It’s fun - but I always wonder what the real agenda is - and where the money comes from. Peel back that onion - and only a cursory peel.

Is a part of:

4. The Group Is Part of a Larger Conservative NGO that Calls for Increasing Legal Immigration & Expanding Free Trade

Republicans for the Rule of Law is part of a larger organization called Defending Democracy Together. That group, a coalition of Republicans and Conservatives, says it is opposed to the “nativist” tendencies in the modern Republican party.

Defending Democracy Together is a part of:

Whose money came from:

Defending Democracy Together has been criticized for taking at least $600,000 in two grants from Democracy Fund Voice, a 501©(4) group created and funded by left-wing mega-donor Pierre Omidyar.[14] According to Democracy Fund Voice’s website, in May 2018 it “approved two grants to Defending Democracy Together: first in the amount of up to $100,000 over one year and then in the amount of up to $500,000 over one year” (image available here). [15]

I stopped there…

10 Likes

Yeah, Bill Kristol may be able to convince a handful of his fellow greedpig neoCons that he’s the voice of reason, but his being against Il Douche in-and-of itself isn’t going to impress anyone else familiar with this giggling conservative fantasist’s oeuvre.

7 Likes

Super clickbait headline - this ad is definitely not produced or funded by the GOP. Charitably, you might just be conflating the Republican Party (the GOP), with some self-identified republicans who happen to not like trump.

The day the actual GOP runs an ad like this will be a great one.

4 Likes

A word I learned here seems to apply… Ouroboros

1 Like

9 Likes

“Mike Pence is right. Donald Trump is wrong”

That tweet totally ignores that Pence is an accessory for anything Trump’s been doing, laying low and not saying anything to corruption is just as bad as the corruption itself.

8 Likes

That tweet totally ignores that Pence is an accessory…

You’re right, but it ignores it on purpose. It’s a piece of mass communication, a piece of rhetoric. You have to consider the audience. Framing it around Pence reminds the people they’re trying to convince (Republicans and their congressional representatives) that kicking Trump out means they get President Pence. It makes the prospect less scary.

4 Likes

Pelosi 2020: No election required

1 Like

I dunno about that–he’s probably going to convince anywhere up to a dozen Northeast parochial conservatives to mildly scold other Republicans while not actually disagreeing with the worst of what he’s done and also simultaneously continuing to fund the PACs that will work against any Democrat who runs against Trump. Think of that kind of power!

2 Likes

True, but if there is any tell in this ad that screams authentic Republican, it’s got to be their refusal to use anything like gender neutral terminology to refer to a mixed-gender institution:

3 Likes

Sure, but what the Kristols of the world wanted was a president that the Archie Bunkers of the world would feel comfortable voting for, but was actually a pliant inside player, like George W. Bush. They didn’t anticipate that the candidate would actually be Archie Bunker.

6 Likes

E7Kg36N

2 Likes
4 Likes

What’s up with the fake dirty film effect? Why does this political ad look like it’s been through a few tours in a badly-maintained movie theater some time pre-2010s?

Oh, the people who made the ad are definitely a group of Republicans. I’m just taking issue with the headline, which says it’s a “GOP Ad”. GOP refers to the Republican PARTY - the actual organization - not just Republican people generally.

I got really interested when I read that the party itself was decrying Trump, and then clicked through to find out it wasn’t them at all.

1 Like