Republicans mock Trump with ad that uses his own past words on classified docs against him (video)

Originally published at: Republicans mock Trump with ad that uses his own past words on classified docs against him (video) | Boing Boing

7 Likes

He looks like tired shit today.

16 Likes

slightly off-topic, but i feel the need to point these things out: the voiceover in this video is “Bella” by elevelabs: ElevenLabs || Prime Voice AI

3 Likes

Of course the GOP seemed to blame Biden, like his being in the White House somehow caused Teixeira’s crimes, “Biden has ruined and weakened the armed forces.” Whatever.

15 Likes

Nah. Bush and Cheney kept documents. Clinton did. Biden too.

What Trump did is when the federales showed up about it instead of cooperating he did his usual DARVO. If he’d cooperated this would have gone away.

8 Likes

No real evidence that any of Trump’s predecessors willfully and blatantly violated laws against keeping secret documents as Trump did. Yes, he probably would have avoided this mess if he’d cooperated, but that doesn’t mean that his initial crimes were just the kind of thing everyone does.

9 Likes

Washington trades in secrets and partial secrets. Those it prosecutes aren’t always that different to those it doesn’t. From outside, before a jury has made a determination on mens rea, cooperation versus soociopathic criminal behaviour post investigation is the most obvious difference.

2 Likes

It feels like you’re trying to make a false equivalency between Donald Trump and people who have at least some outward semblance of respect for the law. I don’t think this is really the “both sides!” issue you think it is.

8 Likes

Exactly. There’s a world of difference between a few documents turning up where they shouldn’t be, mistakes happen, and carting off hundreds and hundreds of classified documents in boxes.
Trump didn’t accidentally get a few documents mixed up during the transfer of power - it’s pretty hard to end up with what’s basically a fucking archive of secrets by accident.

11 Likes

I think only one side hasn’t cooperated with the investigation and accepted that possession of these needed to be rectified.

That is genuine sociopathic criminal behaviour.

7 Likes

He did more than DARVO, he messed with the documents. Several were missing.

8 Likes

I’d bet my first born that they are ALL “missing”. As in copied, distributed and paid for.

Or just flat out stolen.

9 Likes

At best covered in ketchup and powdered Adderall and strewn about a basement, garage or under a bed.

3 Likes

In addition I believe I remember reading that the outgoing President gets a lot of help and support from the National Archives in making sure that all the papers get handled appropriately. I don’t think the outgoing Vice President gets anywhere near that much support.

If you look at this article it uses the name Obama 21 times and the name Biden once.

Given the complexity of the task of securing all the papers, is it plausible that VP Biden or VP Pence and their teams made an honest mistake in having a few documents where they shouldn’t have been? Yes. Granted, ideally mistakes like that wouldn’t happen. Perhaps President Biden and/or Congress should make changes to give the outgoing VP additional support to reduce the chances of mistakes in the future.

7 Likes

If he hadn’t shut down Obama’s pandemic preparedness task force he’d probably still be President now. And as bad as that sounds out loud, several million people would still be alive…

7 Likes

Psaki did it first and better.

8 Likes

I believe I read that the current indictment specifically refrained from documents that were either received late but on polite request or received in response to the subpoena.

The concealment and obstruction charges obviously require focusing on the places with concealment and obstruction; one presumes that, while the espionage act doesn’t necessarily require it, they didn’t want the case getting dragged into false equivalences with the sloppy-but-basically-cooperative even for those charges.

1 Like

Specifically, none.

As was pointed out during the hearings on HRC’s emails, there are many documents that they handle that are classified after-the-fact. For example, there were emails that HRC sent to someone, that remained on her server, that were classified 3 years after she sent them. From what I’ve read of the retained documents that various VPs have notified NARA about, most fall under that kind of thing. In contrast, T**** had documents there were only accessible within a SCIF that were never supposed to be printed or removed from the room, and which he was notified of those rules of handling.

7 Likes

“ALL OUR DOCUMENTS ARE BELONG TO HIM”
- Donald John Trump after losing the 2020 election

3 Likes

Did they stop making his face paste?

• ORANGE TRUMP
  • PINK TRUMP
  • GREY TRUMP
0 voters
2 Likes