A Pittsburgh church held a gun buyback in honor of MLK Day and ran out of money in 40 minutes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/22/a-pittsburgh-church-held-a-gun.html

2 Likes

The city of Phoenix PD convinced the city council to set up a buyback program. The Arizona legislature responded by requiring that all firearms obtained in buybacks had to be sold at auction instead of destroyed.

8 Likes

Many gun advocate argue that events like these are nothing more than symbolic acts of virtue-signalling that ultimately make no real impact on curbing gun violence.

Which is especially rich when the ammosexual making that argument is an obsessive collector of masculinity fetishes.

In the U.S., the very act of giving up the gun is something we need to see more of.

8 Likes

I have a couple Rohm pistols and a Chinese shotgun that I would jump at the chance to sell for $100. None of them cost me more than $20. But they would have to destroy them. They are waaaaay to dangerous to shoot.

6 Likes

The intention is certainly good, but this is what happens. People sell their junky/barely functional/dangerously disrepaired guns taking up space in their safest bag they can’t offload elsewhere & that are worth less than the prices offered.

If the gun is worth anything at all, it’s going on gunbroker, armslist, or the local gun shop. If it’s worth a lot it will find an auction house or a collectibles broker.

I suppose you’ll get a few divorcees offloading her ex’s stuff out of spite, a few moms that discover their child’s nefariously acquired firearms- which is good. It would be interesting to hear how many/if any people are turned away. Especially if they’re “bubba special” pipe shotguns or 3D printed receivers

2 Likes

Normalizing the idea that people can live a fulfilling life without guns is worthwhile, even if “nothing more than symbolic”. That’s why the NRA and their loyal defenders hate it.

The way the responses to this initiative miss the point, one wonders if some people are getting enough target practice.

10 Likes

“Buybacks” also, it seems, can be a source of throw downs aka drop guns.

3 Likes

Chilling, but Cheesus Christ the editorializing there is gross

1 Like

My bad. That goes really sideways in the second half after the newswire-ish copy part at the beginning.

The other sources I found were paywalled or dead links, and I only read the beginning enough to check that it matched my memory.

1 Like

This makes my blood boil. If this were a civilized nation, we’d be auditing police at random. Posession of an unregistered weapon would be an automatic dismissal, and blacklisting from any other law enforcement agency.

2 Likes

TBH, while I agree that possession of an illegal firearm is a serious crime, I’d start on the “Hey police, stop shooting the brown and black people” thing first. Also, “hmm, maybe we should screen out all the white supremacists” as another high priority.

There’s so many ways of phrasing, “who will bell the cat?”.

My favorite these days is breaking police unions.

I too wish to hold a gun buyback. Please send me donations that I will then use to buy guns cheaply.

1 Like

audits? no. no half measures

disarm all police, not just the wife beaters

police unions oppose strong domestic violence legislation because it would mean most cops couldn’t own guns, and thus couldn’t… be cops.

The Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban , often called the “Lautenberg Amendment” (“Gun Ban for Individuals Convicted of a Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence”, Pub.L. 104–208,[1] 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9)[2]), is an amendment to the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997, enacted by the 104th United States Congress in 1996, which bans access to firearms by people convicted of crimes of domestic violence except for military/police officers charged of felonies under 18 U.S.C. § 925(a)(1). The act is often referred to as “the Lautenberg Amendment” after its sponsor, Senator Frank Lautenberg (D - NJ)… The 1968 Gun Control Act and subsequent amendments had previously prohibited anyone convicted of a felony and anyone subject to a domestic violence protective order from possessing a firearm.

2 Likes

20 bucks buys you a 500lb. magnet on amazon. Just go to a bridge over a river in a populous town, and you’ll likely end up with a free gun.

Youtube is FULL of these videos.

Makes me proud to be a Pittsburgher.

Not religious at all- but some god bless these people.
Homewood is the one area of the city universally known among anyone to be dangerous. You don’t go there at night. Most of the murders and shootings happen around that area.

These people are doing something good. I think hell must be freezing over since I think I’m going to donate money to a church now!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.