A quantitative analysis of the graying of Barack Obama's hair

it is partly a joke site; the name is a reference, along the lines of the Ig Nobel, to the Proceedings of the Natural National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

apparently they do a mix of science for popular audiences (Honest And Reliable Data), and parody (Satirical Or Fake Data). i like the cut of their jib, and will happily return. thanks, boingboing.

2 Likes

aaaaghh! itā€™s even worse that it looks to me like an unholy mashup of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as well as good olā€™ Dick.

I did it myself, so I can confirm that itā€™s just Palpatus and Cheney. The reaction the image tends to get says just so much about him.

1 Like

If you look at presidents past that werenā€™t gray going in (W, Clinton, Obama), they all go gray during their term(s)ā€¦ Iā€™ve never considered that it is a ruse with hair dye, but rather an effect of having the stress of running our country for 8 years (in all of my examples)

I guy I once knew had a bit that went something like: ā€œThe problem with Bush isnā€™t that heā€™s evil, itā€™s that heā€™s evil and incompetent. When Nixon went out collecting orphansā€™ kidneys in his two-story-high fire-engine-red flame-belching Nixonmobile, you knew heā€™d be home with a grin and a bagful of kidneys before the killing rays of the sun cleared the horizon. Bush canā€™t even get that right.ā€

3 Likes

Well, itā€™s quite a coincidence that all those presidents had no gray at all when they first campaigned, but by the time they were in the office within a year or so suddenly had some distinctly gray hair. Obama, in fact, was accused of dying his hair gray during the latter part of his campaign, as a response to being up against the older McCain, because his hair so suddenly changed color. I suspect he simply stopped dying his hair.
This seems to be a fairly modern phenomenon - looking back, Carter had gray patches that got a bit lighter during his term and Reaganā€™s hair got darker by the time he left office.

Hey, that guyā€™s hair was an industry unto itself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.