A ridiculously beautiful BMW R100

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/13/a-ridiculously-beautiful-bmw-r.html

5 Likes

Homepage:

http://kingston-custom.de/

6 Likes

Something tells me that swooped upper part of the body that makes a sharp metallic point towards the driver cannot possibly be safe. That said the work on the bike looks damn good

10 Likes

Yeah, definitely not ideal to have a sharp point at the front of your bike pointing back at you. But I couldn’t agree more, these are works of art.

5 Likes

THIS is a beautiful BMW (and the noisiest thing on the track by a long way)

9 Likes

Ah Art Deco design, harkening back to an era before pesky safety regulations got in the way of aesthetics.

I also wonder just how much you’ll be able to turn that front wheel. Sure you don’t need to turn much most of the time you’re riding, but on those rare occasions when you do that could be in inconvenience.

3 Likes

In the event you don’t properly maintain the supple leather tool holder it will helpfully allow the wrenches to bounce out when you hit a bump and immediately get jammed between the frame and the rear wheel, instantly destroying both.

15 Likes

Well, it is a custom job for the HAAS MOTO MUSEUM & SCULPTURE GALLERY in Dallas, Texas, so I suppose whether you can actually ride it in any practical manner wasn’t exactly a priority.
http://www.haasmotomuseum.com/

4 Likes

OK- $#@* that’s gorgeous :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I want know what he used to black out his cylinders like that. That’s exactly the style with polished ribs I want on my own R90.

I’ve had high temp powder coat come off, I’ve seen specific Brittish paints used at Flatracer.com, and thought of going the route of JetHot- but that’s actually an insulative coating and I feel like that would ruin the air-cooled engine because of that.

Architectural metal ion black annodizing is expensive and rare to find but permanent.

Best thing I’ve found was actually a solution from Birchwood Casey- a system called Black Lumiclad. Look it up. https://www.birchwoodtechnologies.com/electroless_black_oxide_of_aluminum_alloys/

4 Likes

I was just thinking the second he rides over anything wet or dirt all of that stuff is going to get horribly messy.

I hope he has a private road system hidden made of perfectly clean marble to drive that on anywhere he goes because he’s going to need it, if the forks and everything as you say don’t bustle loose and immediately go into the tire which is probably what is going to happen!

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting looking fellow from that site:

3 Likes

Ridiculously, stunningly, unusably beautiful.

6 Likes

Ya, I came here to say “take note of that Tullock spike at the front, as it’s the part that will be raking through your swimsuit area as you fly over it”

Though, if you were in a situation that made it an issue, things wouldn’t be going great for you regardless of how the bike was designed.

3 Likes

Came upon a railroad crossing when we noticed a motorcycle and rider in the middle of the tracks. He had wrenches “just in case” in an old rotting saddle bag, but the saddle bag had a hole positioned just right where it deposited one of the loose wrenches into the spokes and was now jammed into the fork and brake. A few of us fellas tried rocking it and putting our own fingers at risk until we heard the whistle of a train coming. We picked up the back of the bike and got it off the tracks just as the train passed.

4 Likes

This thing is ridiculous.

Edit - I say that as an owner of an old first-gen R100/7, back when they looked more like regular motorcycles without all the fairings and racing stuffs so take me with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Hold on, let me fill out my organ donor card.

1 Like

Also judging by the height of the seating position it seems like it might be tricky to stay atop the thing. His hands are at his knees!!

4 Likes

Thank you for posting that! Amazing.

3 Likes

“Do you want to live for ever, or have an amazing looking bike?”

2 Likes

“Neither sir, i just want to live”

2 Likes