A round up of breitbart - abandon hope all ye who enter

It can be hard to take this website seriously sometimes. Here’s the picture they dug up for Eric Idle:

Cheer up, Brian

I like to think Mr Idle himself would appreciate the quality of the hit job. The article itself isn’t worth going into. A lot of these narratives are not new I guess, the steady stream of articles such as these are about creating an us-against-them sentiment that is then used to rally up support for the agenda.

So what’s the current agenda? How is breitbart peddling the proposed budget, for example? Education is taking a cut, so remind everyone that the education system is crap and it’s not worth paying for. All dissent should be ascribed to unionists and Hollywood.

New York State Kills Literacy Test for Teachers: Minority Kids Hardest Hit

Teachers Union: Budget Guts Public Education

Joy Behar: Trump’s Cutting Education ‘So We Can All Be as Dumb as He Is’

Same essential treatment of the EPA.

GOP Sen Inhofe: EPA ‘Brainwashing Our Kids’ With Propaganda

The comments are all about killing the DoE and letting communities work it out for themselves.

For selling the increased military spending, I found this article. I have nothing funny to say about this article.

Virgil: Donald Trump, Rosie the Riveter, and the Revival of American Economic Nationalism

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/17/virgil-donald-trump-rosie-riveter-revival-american-economic-nationalism/

You can copy and paste that if you want to see for yourself the pictures of Rosie the Riveter building B-52s, bombers flying sorties over Europe, a burning oil refinery in Romania, and Donald Trump standing in front of a sign “Buy American - Hire American”.

Sometimes big ideas get small coverage. Unfortunately, that was the case with President Trump’s March 15 trip to Michigan, in which he raised an important idea—arguably the most important economic-policy idea in U.S. history—and yet his words received almost no attention.

“Virgil”, who refers to itself in third person throughout the piece, does not spend a lot of time quoting Trump directly. Trump is a leaping off point for Virgil’s own lofty dreams.

Trump started out by taking his listeners back to a time when America was at the zenith of its power. That was World War II. Back then, Americans were more confident and more united; they were all in this together, aiming to defeat Hitler abroad and, at the same time, defeat the Depression at home.

And no state better epitomized that “Can Do” ethos than Michigan. The Wolverine State was the manufacturing hub of the country, which meant that it was the manufacturing hub of the world. And it was that manufacturing strength, of course, that enabled us to defeat the Axis powers in less than four years. Trump recalled those years of American strength, and even included a wistful note about the manufacturing mojo that’s been lost in recent decades:

Great Americans of all backgrounds built the Arsenal of Democracy — including the legendary Rosie the Riveter, who worked here at Willow Run. . . . Seventy-five years ago, during the Second World War, thousands of American workers filled this very building to build the great new airplane: the B-24 Liberator. At peak production–listen to this, it’s not the country that we’ve been watching over the last 20 years—they were building one B-24 every single hour.

Without a doubt, Willow Run was an immense achievement. In June 1941, it was just a field, 30 miles outside of Detroit. And yet by September of the the following year, it was producing B-24 Liberator bombers, each with 488,193 parts, capable of delivering four tons of ordnance on a target nearly three thousand miles. By 1945, Willow Run had produced nearly 9,000 of these fearsome birds of war. And oh, by the way, it employed 42,000 men, and women, at its peak—including Rosie the Riveter

Yes, Willow Run is a stirring tale of get-up-and-go war production, and yet it is just one of many. In WWII, the overall American industrial war effort also produced, for example, more than 100,000 armored vehicles, 300,000 airplanes, and 41 billion rounds of ammunition. It takes nothing away from the courage of our fighting men in WWII to say that their job of victory was made infinitely easier by the typhoon of steel that they could unleash on the enemy.

So how did Uncle Sam achieve that miracle of production? The most obvious answer is that we had the industrial resources in place before the war, and so it was simply a case of ramping them up during the war. [emphasis Virgil’s] In 1939, for example, we produced twice as much steel as Hitler’s Germany, and our advantage grew during the war years, in no small part because B-24s, and other bombers, were smashing Nazi factories.

Creating jobs by ramping up industrial production before the war. 1939 is the chosen example.

There’s a lot of waxing lyrical about B-52s that I’ll cut but I found this part of the vision particularly interesting.

As an aside, we can note that the title of Sorenson’s tome, My Forty Years with Ford, takes us back to another facet of that bygone era, when a well-paid employee was loyal to a company and the company, in turn, was loyal to the employee. It’s in such a context—that is, a rich “corporate culture” that nurtures talent—that employees tend to do their best for their company, and for their country.

Of course, for every motivated white-collar executive, there were thousands of skilled blue-collar workers, and they were key, too. We can say: This is how quality manufacturing gets done—that is when employers and employees are so invested that they both work extra hard to improve the product.

One white collar for every few thousand blues makes for an oligarchy of about 0.1 to 0.01%. I think there’s crowd huddled round Trump right now who understand what they’re doing and are gambling that they can land on the right side of the divide.

It’s been estimated that the U.S. government spent a trillion dollars, adjusted for inflation, to build all those defense plants during the war, and yet after VE Day and VJ Day, those now-surplus facilities were sold off to private manufacturers for just pennies on the dollar. Critics complained that it was a giant giveaway to corporate America, but consumers were just happy to have new cars, toasters, and TV sets.

Then some subtle jabs at unions, Obama gets blamed for stealing America’s “manufacturing mojo”, manufacturing is great, patriotism, the stakes are high, economics, manufacturing, the damn liberals etc. etc. and we’re out.

Strip education and social services, destroy social mobility, put the masses to work tooling up for an as yet undeclared war. Even having read the article I can’t find a way to summarise it so that it sounds good. Must be why the article is so long.

5 Likes

"reading the top story at Breitbart and drinking "

That about sums it up.

7 Likes

*Reads thread*

I hate people.

19 Likes

:tired_face::fearful::anguished::scream::rage:

5 Likes

So, it seems like if we were to look at the places they are naming as sources of information and lined them up to these people’s organizations, we’d have some idea of how they are creating the veneer of legitimate press work.

9 Likes

Just for comedy value, I was wondering how today went down over in alt-reality:

Paul Ryan’s fault, apparently.

4 Likes

Yes, the rank and file at breitbart are celebrating the defeat of “Ryancare/Obamacare 2.0”, but things got hairy there for a while. This has been Trump’s weakest moment as president so far in the eyes of his base. The Russia stuff is easily dismissed as conspiracy, Trumpeteers are satisfied his wiretapping claims are totally vindicated, they are full-on gay for the muslim ban, but the AHCA has left a black mark on his reputation. Breitbart were deep into a narrative pinning everything on Ryan, as you say, so when Trump doubled down and confronted the House (do I really have to call them this? Fuck’s sake…) Freedom Caucus he found himself on the wrong side of that narrative.

The comments got, for a certain value of the word, ugly. Trump isn’t keeping his promises. Trump is being led by the nose. He’s out of his depth. If you’re looking to sow doubts in the minds of any Trump supporters you might know, this is the subject to press on. Ask them which swamp-dweller they think will write his next bill for him.

Trump fucked up, and don’t let anyone try to spin it differently. That said, here is the spin and it is pretty amazing:

Health Care Bill’s Failure: Just Part of the ‘Art of the Deal’

President Donald Trump faces three irreconcilable factions: the GOP establishment, conservatives, and Democrats. He must bring them together — to “deliver the goods,” a key rule in The Art of the Deal. But first he must show them “the downside” — and convince them they will fail on their own.

The most difficult faction to deal with is the Republican establishment — not because they are politically strong, but because on policy issues like health care, they are convinced that they have all the answers and that Trump just does not understand.

So he let them make the first move — and he exposed two things about them: first, that they had not come up with a plan that was ready for prime time; second, that they had not done any of the political legwork necessary to sell their plan to voters.

Y’see, Trump totally meant for everything to happen exactly as it did. Still trying to rally support for the bill the day before it failed? All part of his cunning plan. I think it’s important to be informed here so that if anyone tries this argument on you, you can skip the expression of open-mouthed incredulity and go immediately to laughing at them.

So what’s next? Paul Ryan is fucked, obviously. Trump says it’s going to be Obamacare until the heat death of the universe, but his pissy fit will run its course and in a couple of weeks he will have “never said that”. Already there’s a new proposal lurking on breitbart, waiting to be picked up by Fox and eventually Trump. It’s a different beast to the AHCA and it will be a different fight, I think.

First the name. No shit:

Catastrophic Coverage

“Obamacare 2.0” failed, maybe, because it fought Obamacare on Obamacare’s own terms. It was too easy to crunch the numbers and show in simple terms how shitty a deal it was. Catastrophic coverage seems designed (by the RAND Corporation, no less) to avoid direct comparison.

A new Trump bill that hearkens back to Trump’s campaign promises could explicitly repeal Obamacare — and offer catastrophic coverage instead.

A recent Ph. D. dissertation by Jodi L. Liu of the RAND Corporation describes a system in which the federal government offers catastrophic coverage — i.e. insurance for the massive, often unforeseen expenses Americans fear most — to all legal residents, and the market provides insurance for everything else.

Classic RAND. What do Americans fear most? That’s what we’ll sell them. Never mind little details like the total repeal of the ACA, you will have COVERAGE against CATASTROPHE. Will you be able to afford insurance, who cares because you will have CATASTROPHIC COVERAGE. It has a fucking awesome name that will trigger all the liberal crybabies and it says right there that illegals can go fuck themselves.

Liu suggests catastrophic coverage would be cheaper for the poor than Obamacare, while cutting federal expenditures by $40 billion and overall health spending by $211 billion. (In contrast, the comprehensive system Democrats favor would cost the federal government $1 trillion more than Obamacare.)

Yes, “go fuck yourself” is indeed cheaper for the poor than Obamacare. Take note that the figure of $1 trillion dollars comes from the same RAND dissertation. And arguments about “the same insurance policy will cost $X,000 more” won’t work like they did for the AHCA because you won’t even need insurance because you’ll have CATASTROPHIC COVERAGE.

And what exactly constitutes a catastrophe? Fucked if I know, it’s probably buried somewhere in the 105 page dissertation but I’m still digging and anyway I’m sure such details are subject to change. Like the “bad” in “we’ll only deport the bad ones” it means whatever your heart tells you.

You were warned about bringing any hope in here.

10 Likes

Yes they are into blaming Ryan and the establishment. Like a lot of presidents, especially ones that run as outsiders, they find that Congress is the one that has all the power.

I’m pretty sure that there are paid people who post in their comments to cheer on the party line just like he has paid claquers in his audiences to leave the cheers.

Also I noticed that they run other stories that interests their readers about things like Muslims that are attacking places overseas or other pet issues when the news is not good for Trump.

7 Likes

Here’s a good companion to that article:

Rebekah Mercer seems the one to watch.

8 Likes

Seriously. I hear more about violence in France from breitbart than I do from listening to the local radio.

5 Likes

Ah, here we go, the gold mine of Trump love

Why to love Gorush: https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2017/3/24/promise-fulfilled/

Those damn anti-Trumpers: https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2017/3/20/antitrump-side-launches-campaign-of-civil-revenge-against-presidency/https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2017/3/20/antitrump-side-launches-campaign-of-civil-revenge-against-presidency/

What could be more norm-violating than boycotting our national celebration of the inauguration of a new president? What could be more norm-violating than praising growing violent protests where Trump supporters are assaulted? What could be more norm-violating than a whole party in Congress dedicated to stopping the business of governing?

Pray tell, what could be more norm-violating than a whole party in Congress dedicated to stopping the business of governing, Republicans?

12 Likes

Humorless liberals killing off all the joy at Avenue Q

as always, the real love is in the comments

3 Likes

Unbelievable: “The group’s board of five journalists who oversee organizations granted congressional press badges said it needed more information on ties between two of Breitbart’s top editorial staff and the Government Accountability Institute, a conservative research group.”

It takes a committee of ‘journalists’ to determine if their Breitbart’s (Bannon’s) bullshit is worthy? wtf?

9 Likes

Breitbart and commenters are so proud that people who fall for left fake news “were more likely to be affluent and college educated.” (“Yeah! Education not make you smart!”)

Completely ignoring that they trimmed off that it was compared to people fooled by right fake news. (Some ignored that there was fake right news.)

Their source:

The CBS program:

And in all that chain, no one thought to ask “Can we trust Jeff Green and The Trade Desk? Can we see the analysis to see if the data supports your conclusion?”

4 Likes

Indeed, especially reading the comments. That’s admirable on a level I can’t hope to achieve.

9 Likes

I had been considering monitoring the right-wing stuff for a while but after the election it just got to be where I felt I had to do it.

9 Likes

Thank you for your continuing sacrifice.

4 Likes

I just couldn’t read this, or Drudge, or any of that crap for long.

The WSJ is too much for me…

6 Likes

WSJ and Forbes have not been fans of Trump. They are kind of a palate cleanser for me, but the economic conservatives aren’t really Trump’s base.

My concern is that Trump topples and we still have an angry mob out there.

He STILL has the entire RNC database on his personal server farm and can reach out to all his true believers.

The problem is not going to be solved when he crawls back into the hole he came from.

Somehow we need to figure out how to speak to this hate in an effective way. We need to at least try to consider the concerns people have about Muslims and the economy tanking so they have to hoard rice and all the nuttiness that is out there and think about what emotional concerns are being expressed. How can we help talk them back off the edge they are taking us to?

Growing up in Birmingham, AL, and having grandparents in Montgomery, I am a believer in social change.

11 Likes

The comments on the FCC/ISP matter seem a little upset. There are a few telecom handlers trying to work the crowd, but not having much luck.

It’s dangerous to go alone, take this:

3 Likes