A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

Symbolically, important. Practically, not so much.

4 Likes

“Pittsburgh City Council approved three gun-control bills Tuesday in a 6-3 final vote that attracted to council chambers both family members of Tree of Life victims and gun-rights advocates who threatened prompt legal action.”

“The bills that would ban the use of certain assault-style weapons and ammunition as well as allow courts to temporarily confiscate weapons from those who pose an “extreme risk” to themselves or others were introduced just weeks after a gunman killed 11 worshipers and wounded others at the Squirrel Hill synagogue.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-local/2019/04/02/Pittsburgh-city-council-final-vote-gun-control-bills-assault-weapons/stories/201904020089

" Think globally , act locally "

10 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes
11 Likes

Time-shifted resistence.

EDIT TO ADD: Also apropos of nothing, and separately: last week I caught Al Roker (also on the Today Show) and cohorts talking about the Mueller report and Barr’s summary (slash misdirection). As they all worked out what to say, Roker emitted, “well, the system worked.” That’s not so great.

7 Likes

Thread:

I am putting this here, because we need to think about how we’re resisting him and who we might be harming when we make jokes and comments about his mental state.

Personally, I am going to waffle even less about those. Comments like that will be flagged with any other denigrating those with physical or mental illness and disabilities.

11 Likes

Yep, I deal a lot with that on social media with friends and relatives, a steady wind I can’t seem to do much of anything to lessen. (That and the constant chorus of “He’s soooo STOOPID!!!”) I mostly just stay out of it, so thanks for the encouragement to speak up more against it. :+1:

3 Likes

Just because we need something hopeful today.

10 Likes

Because UVa and the needed morale boost for Charlottesville …

Go Hoos!

4 Likes

Slightly tangential, but Katie Porter brought her A game to a hearing with JPMorgan CEO and grilled the shit out of him.

11 Likes

AOC gets all the press, but this woman is vicious, in all the right ways.

11 Likes

She has been vicious on these fronts. It’s nice seeing these guys who have made finance seem like it’s simultaneously a complex thing that the act of having lots of money means your a genius while claiming that it’s so simple that anyone who is poor chooses to be, get eviscerated by someone who actually does know what she’s talking about and can’t be snowed.

Remember, she wrote the book.

13 Likes

13 Likes

Long before Trump arrived, tax-free “charity” money was fueling hated to build his base.

Following Sludge Report, Coalition Launches Campaign to End Hate Group Funding

More than 20 philanthropists, foundations, and donor-advised fund providers launched their “Hate Is Not Charitable” campaign on March 20.

Following Sludge’s report on the funding of hate groups by some of the nation’s biggest charities, a coalition of over 20 philanthropists, foundations, and donor-advised fund providers launched the “Hate Is Not Charitable” campaign, an effort to pressure giant charities to develop policies barring donations to nonprofits considered to be hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center and other extremism experts.

It’s really a good thing that they’re drawing attention to it. It’s too bad that any reform of charity laws and regulations would be unlikely. The Republitions would rather shit both kidneys than have their holy causes judged by people like the Southern Poverty Law Center.

9 Likes

Worth reminding ourselves that even assuming an overwhelming win in 2020, the chances that the right goes into permanent minority status is slim. If this ostracizes right wing charities, expect our favorites to be on the list for when/if they get power back. My own thought would be better publicizing of who the assholes are so that they can be named and shamed.

3 Likes

Ah, if only they had shame…

8 Likes

Not resistance to Trump per se, but he has been encouraging shit against Rep. Omar, so I am putting this here:

12 Likes
7 Likes
19 Likes