A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

That word…

They seriously have no fucking clue what it actually means.

And how I heart Colbert for that mashup; Meh-nah-muh-nah!

7 Likes

Um . . .
Can’t think of anything to say other than . . .
Well if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything, they say.

12 Likes

Use me!

10 Likes

“Last night, a group of Harvard students kicked off a four-week course dedicated to building skills to take action against Donald Trump’s agenda.”

theresistanceschool@gmail.com

11 Likes

More from the “be careful what you vote for” category:

18 Likes

We need a sound clip of that cartoon / slapstick “WAH-Wah-wah-waahhhhhhhh!” sound effect for cases like this.

8 Likes

Fake gift boxes!

This one is currently sold out:

https://prankpack.com/products/tweet-printer-br-standard-size

6 Likes

Why be subtle?

4 Likes

Ah, Randy!

3 Likes

I’m with you. I really want to feel some sympathy, but with all of Trump’s big talk about getting undocumented immigrants out of the country, just what the hell did they think they were supporting? What kind of denialism is this?

Did they really think that his tough talk about immigration had some sort of “we’re only deporting the bad hombres – if you’re a good illegal we’ll keep you around” caveat?

10 Likes

I do feel sorry for him, actually–he married an asshole. She’s the only one I don’t feel sorry for.

10 Likes

I can understand that. Maybe he also thought he was “one of the good ones” and wouldn’t be affected.

ETA: I can still feel bad for their kids, right? :cry:

14 Likes

Literally yes.

Helen Beristain told Indiana Public Media she voted for Trump, believing he would not deport “good people.”

“[Trump] did say the good people would not be deported, the good people would be checked,” she said.

15 Likes

10 Likes

The “nuclear option” was originally called that because Senate rules allow Senators to demand votes over every, single, goddamn thing. Whereas the House doesn’t.

1 Like

They don’t have time to look into souls. It’s easier to use stereotypes.

Kill em all. God will know his own.

5 Likes

David Brooks lets loose:

Trump’s greatest achievements are in the field of ignorance. Up until this period I had always thought of ignorance as a void, as an absence of knowledge. But Trump’s ignorance is not just an absence; it is a rich, intricate and entirely separate universe of negative information, a sort of fertile intellectual antimatter with its own gravitational pull.

It’s not so much that he isn’t well informed; it’s that he is prodigiously learned in the sort of knowledge that doesn’t accord with the facts of our current dimension.

It is in its own way a privilege to be alive at the same time as a man who is the Albert Einstein of confirmation bias, a man whose most impressive wall is the one between himself and evidence, a man who doesn’t need to go off in search of enemies because he is already his own worst one.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/opinion/the-coming-incompetence-crisis.html?_r=0

16 Likes

Suggestion:

Start a new Resistance thread, which will start off shorter and easier to navigate.

3 Likes

the personnel process has been so rigorous in its selection of inexperience that those who were hired on the basis of mere nepotism look like Dean Acheson by comparison.

That’s a pretty tasty sentence there.

6 Likes

Resisting on the State level can work folks. In my home state of Virginia the Veto Session upheld some key legislative agendas and denied some of 45’s. Please forgive the lengthy post but I felt it might be motivational for those who are working for positive change in their own states. Get out and vote at every level that you can.

Medicaid Expansion
The Governor introduced an amendment that would expand Medicaid in Virginia. That amendment would allow Virginia to access the $6.6 million dollars per day that we’re instead sending to other states that have expanded Medicaid, including our neighbors Kentucky, West Virginia and Maryland. It is long past time that we bring back our money and expand healthcare access to hundreds of thousands of the most vulnerable Virginians. Unfortunately, this amendment was rejected by the House of Delegates on a party-line vote.

Restore state funding for election activities
The amendment would have restored $655,000 in FY 2018 to support citizens’ access to information needed for the November 2017 elections and to maintain the Department of Elections’ operations when Help America Vote Act (HAVA) funding expires. The integrity of our elections depends on adequate resources, and I fully supported the Governor adding additional funding to ensure that. However, this amendment was defeated in the House of Delegates.

Restore funding for a solar initiative
The Governor amended the budget to restore $1.1 million from the general fund in FY 2018 to support an expanded clean energy initiative. Priority in the use of these funds would have been given to solar energy projects in local public school divisions and to assist commercial, institutional, and individual customers in financing solar projects. I have been fighting for expanded access to solar energy, and this funding would have given the Commonwealth another tool to achieve that. Unfortunately, this amendment was also rejected in the House.

AMENDED BILLS

Coal Ash Clean-up
Senator Surovell carried legislation dealing with the closure of Dominion’s four coal ash ponds in the Commonwealth. The Governor’s amendment established a one-year moratorium and gave the bill more pollution assessment and enforcement that had originally been stripped during the legislative session. Those changes passed both chambers of the General Assembly and head back to the Governor for his signature.

FOIA and Death Record Access
Sen. Surovell passed a bill this session to allow families access to full records of unattended deaths, including suicides and accidents. The bill was addressing a lapse in the system where the next of kin is not able to access their loved ones’ suicide reports. Many of these families in mourning want to understand what happened and why, and the bill will allow them to do just that. The Governor’s amendment would have given less access to the report and require that law enforcement only provide a brief summary, rather than actual investigative reports. That amendment was rejected by the Senate and heads back to the Governor in its original form.

VETOED BILLS

Anti-immigrant Bills
A “sanctuary cities” bill that would force localities to enforce all federal immigration law as well as a “refugee tracking” bill that would require the Department of Social Services to publish refugee information, passed both houses of the General Assembly. A third bill, one that would force local sheriffs to hold undocumented immigrants in their jails until ICE approves of their transfer or release, also passed this session.

These three bills that would have stoked anti-immigrant sentiments were vetoed by the Governor, and all vetoes were sustained by the General Assembly.

Education Bills
Bills that would have established regional charter schools, parental choice savings accounts, and a statewide virtual school were vetoed by the Governor. Those vetoes were also upheld on Wednesday.

Firearms Bills
Numerous bills were vetoed that expanded access for concealed carry permits to certain individuals were vetoed by the Governor and upheld. Other vetoed bills to allow people to bring guns into disaster emergency shelters and encourage the introduction of firearms into domestic violence situations were also upheld.

Voter Suppression Bills
Bills that would have made it harder to vote were vetoed by the Governor and sustained by the General Assembly. These bills included one that would force voters to make a copy of their photo ID and mail it with their absentee ballot for their vote to be counted, and one that would require registrars to purge voter rolls for no reason.

13 Likes