A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

Who’d have thought that. Going to people, listening to them, REPRESENTING them would have such a positive effect.

10 Likes

So many choice quotes, as usual with laurie penny…

Most actual working women—to whit, all women—would kill to have those sort of time-management problems, and that’s the point: You’re supposed to aspire to this, just as men are supposed to aspire to be the ranting tycoon with one finger on the nuclear button and the other nine up the skirts of whatever Miss Universe contestant he’s currently sponsoring, and if you aspire hard enough you might not notice that we’re getting screwed too.

11 Likes

I know! I was spoilt for choice!

3 Likes

Alas.

5 Likes
16 Likes
7 Likes

Maybe the deep dark secret isn’t pee pee tapes.

It’s evidence of money laundering for the Russian mob.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/watch-explosive-dutch-documentary-says-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russias-mafia-underworld/

5 Likes

Scary! So well done, thanks. Would that a Republican pol would actually read it and take it to heart.

Probably my favorite line/jab:

I think I once had other values but, well, winning is winning.

7 Likes

Sure makes me wonder what the Trump presidential library will look like.

I’m envisioning countless shelves filled with Art of the Deal and spiral bound notebooks filled with printouts of his tweets.

8 Likes

I really must get her new book everything belongs to the future

Her short stories are great as well.

2 Likes

You want to be ultra paranoid?

Try this on for size:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-13/u-s-reaches-5-9-million-deal-in-russian-fraud-laundering-case

The U.S. agreed to take $5.9 million to settle a money-laundering lawsuit tied to a $230 million Russian tax fraud, avoiding a trial that was set to begin Monday.

Both the U.S. and a Cyprus-based company controlled by a Russian businessman claimed victory in avoiding a trial that promised to shed light on an intricate web of shell companies and middlemen that were allegedly used to spirit dirty money out of Russia in violation of international financial regulations.

10 Likes

I am loving Kaila Hale-Stern’s interpretation of FBI Director Comey’s Goodbye Letter!

12 Likes

Why wait?

8 Likes

Mail the ashes of my lower intestines and middle fingers to the GOP when I die.

9 Likes

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/142705/supreme-court-just-delivered-blow-republicans-racist-voter-id-strategy

Nice! Though John Roberts is telegraphing that this openness to voting rights might not last.

“Given the blizzard of filings over who is and who is not authorized to seek review in this Court under North Carolina law, it is important to recall our frequent admonition that ‘[t]he denial of a writ of certiorari imports no expression of opinion upon the merits of the case,’” Roberts wrote.

8 Likes

(When will bbs start allowing half-likes?)

7 Likes

projected onto the Old Post Office.

20 Likes

As someone who grew up on Long Island in the 70s and 80s, and witnessed the Trump fraud and infidelity show, I must say that Hellboy here totally nails it:

16 Likes

Yeah, I know, David Brooks. But wow!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/opinion/trump-classified-data.html

Our institutions depend on people who have enough engraved character traits to fulfill their assigned duties. But there is perpetually less to Trump than it appears. When we analyze a president’s utterances we tend to assume that there is some substantive process behind the words, that it’s part of some strategic intent.

But Trump’s statements don’t necessarily come from anywhere, lead anywhere or have a permanent reality beyond his wish to be liked at any given instant.

We’ve got this perverse situation in which the vast analytic powers of the entire world are being spent trying to understand a guy whose thoughts are often just six fireflies beeping randomly in a jar.
“We badly want to understand Trump, to grasp him,” David Roberts writes in Vox. “It might give us some sense of control, or at least an ability to predict what he will do next. But what if there’s nothing to understand? What if there is no there there?”

12 Likes

More and more establishment Repubs are turning on Trump. So we can get…Pence. Yay…

13 Likes