A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

Good to see Mr Fish has still got it.

2 Likes

With all the endless cra-cra, I keep forgetting about TruthDig; but it’s always got some good gems.

4 Likes

Yep!

3 Likes

I’m not a Cornel West fangirl, but man is he righteously fired up:

7 Likes

I just watched Do the Right Thing today (very topical given all of the tensions going on right now) and this Malcolm X quote in the credits really stuck with me (especially because it was so similar to what 45 said the other day, yet so different):

“I think there are plenty of good people in America, but there are also plenty of bad people in America and the bad ones are the ones who seem to have all the power and be in these positions to block things that you and I need. Because this is the situation, you and I have to preserve the right to do what is necessary to bring an end to that situation, and it doesn’t mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don’t even call it violence when it’s self-defense, I call it intelligence.”

I really wish he was alive today to provide more of his wisdom to help guide us through these dark times.

9 Likes

Reading Malcolm X’s autobiography in my senior year in HS was transformative.

Me too.

I cried at the end of Spike Lee’s film that same year, as though his assassination had just happened… and Malcolm died years before I was even born.

Such potential, such a necessary voice… snuffed out.

10 Likes

Me too. As a white dude in high school reading his autobiography, it was a really tough read at parts especially he was heavy into the NOI but it also provided some raw insight into where they were coming from.

His death was truly a loss for all of America and it frustrates me that he doesn’t get anywhere near the recognition that MLK does. (Not that King’s recognition isn’t well deserved, mind you.)

7 Likes

Not from the main stream maybe, but he’s still a big deal in the Black community.

In my area, we literally have a festival named in his honor every year in May at the park just down the way from my house.

8 Likes

This could get interesting…

4 Likes

Q: Do I have to be a Juggalo to participate in the march?

A: Not at all! This demonstration is about standing up for rights of people who have been profiled, discriminated, and unjustly treated simply for identifiying with a particular music group or genre of music. If you are a patriotic American who believes that freedom and the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are damn good things, you are encouraged to be a part of the Juggalo March.

3 Likes

It would be a severely weird thing if the Juggalos ended up becoming the core of the American resistance. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t go that far but it will be an interesting day in DC. That is for sure!

4 Likes

Tick, tick, tick…

I know. I know. But it sounds great.

4 Likes

Even Trump doesn’t like keeping statues up

6 Likes

Why not? I think he’s awesome.

2 Likes

Keep an eye on this one.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Well, I’m not anyone’s fangirl, per se, and I do respect him as an intelligent public figure; there are just certain minor traits he has which I don’t find very endearing.

3 Likes

Ah, true. He also could use with a media coach or something. He’s not especially telegenic, and thus easy to cast as a “kooky leftist” and so on.

3 Likes

Yep.

But I give him much credit for acknowledging and embracing the LGBTQ community as part of the persecuted targets by fascists and bigots, given that he identifies as Xtian.

Sadly, in the Black community that often tends to be an issue…

8 Likes