A round up of Trumpian events 🖕🍊🤡

US and Chinese officials got into physical scuffle over ‘nuclear football’ in November: report

White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, a U.S. military aide, members of the Secret Service and Chinese officials got into a physical scuffle over the so-called “nuclear football” in November, said a Sunday evening report from Axios.com.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/us-chinese-officials-got-physical-scuffle-nuclear-football-november-report/

(Posting the RawStory link because there are fewer hoops to jump through to view it than the Axios one.)

1 Like

A long piece

The public events were not trivial occasions, in Bannon’s view. They whipped up the emotion that got Trump elected: anger. “We got elected on Drain the Swamp, Lock Her Up, Build a Wall,” he says. “This was pure anger. Anger and fear is what gets people to the polls.”

While I’d like to see Trump gone, I hope that the answer isn’t a greater and opposite fear and anger. Bannon says that he was radicalized by the screwing of the middle class by the elites in 2008. Funny that he went to the Republicans then, although the Democratic establishment isn’t much better.

4 Likes

All class, these … “people?”

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/965675390671949824

8 Likes

Oh, 17 people dead, just another Snow Day at the White House.

5 Likes

At 2:55pm BST (9:55am EDT) on 11 September 2001, after both World Trade Center towers had been hit in terrorist attacks, but before either tower had collapsed, Moore sent an email to the press office of her department which read:

It’s now a very good day to get out anything we want to bury. Councillors’ expenses?

3 Likes
1 Like
7 Likes
11 Likes

https://twitter.com/some_qualia/status/965345168512733184

—

Also rather noticable that the overall results are left-biased on economics, and pegging the limits of the scale amongst left partisans. Economic centre appears to be about -0.3.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/freakystevestl/status/965873511943327744

2 Likes

Can’t believe the miners got pissed off that Hillary told the truth

5 Likes
5 Likes

This appears to also be self-identified positions of Americans which has very little to do with why the majority of people that vote do.

3 Likes

For the old folks who want their outrage anytime and anywhere on their smartphone

2 Likes

I think it is based on Hillary/Trump’s promises and statements, which would explain why there are so many people at -1.0 on the economic scale. Preferring what Hillary says because it is less shit than what Trump says is not an endorsement of her statement.

Also interesting is that the so-called Bernie bros don’t seem to have been a major factor in Hillary’s loss (as I have suspected for a long time, I just didn’t have any evidence) .

1 Like

In humanity acting shitty news today

https://thinkprogress.org/the-new-smear-campaign-against-students-who-survived-the-parkland-massacre-b71c1e1d722c/amp/

But on the other hand…

A vandalized billboard along a major interstate in Louisville is calling out the National Rifle Association following the recent school shootings in Kentucky and Florida.

The sign along Interstate 65 northbound near the Fern Valley Road exit reads “Kill the NRA.” The billboard is also tagged with “Resist 45,” a group that opposes President Donald Trump.

Photos of it have been making the rounds on social media. The billboard is owned by Outfront Media, which did not immediately return a voicemail left Tuesday morning.

Last week’s school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 dead has renewed outrage and debate over the nation’s gun laws, with the NRA taking heat from those who want to see tighter regulations on firearms.

The NRA’s official Facebook page shared the sign on Monday telling gun owners that it’s “a wakeup call. They’re coming after us.”

2 Likes

Damn right.

Remember when people used to say “oh, don’t be silly, gun owners. Nobody’s coming for your guns. We’re talking about simple background checks. Your guns are safe, the NRA is safe, relax.”

I think that time has passed. I want them to come for your guns. Americans cannot be trusted with unregulated firearms. The NRA cannot be trusted. It needs to be destroyed.

9 Likes

A reminder that even in 2018, there are still people out there blaming violent games for mass shootings even though there’s lots of violent games out there in the rest of the world and they don’t have our issues with mass shootings

7 Likes

This is probably the majority opinion right now. The gun lobby has been absolutely stupid. They are the equivalent of despotic rulers who leave their people with no choice but to revolt.

5 Likes

If you want to get into the weeds, it also wasn’t Clinton’s campaign strategy in the Midwest that lost it either. The single event that contributed the most is Comey’s letter which has an extremely easily measured effect. Basically national media focus is much more important to the general election (can’t be said for the primaries at all) than anything else, and Clinton lost the time in front of the camera and had three massive gaffes that were spread all over in the DNC hack, feinting, and Comey’s letter. The data collected from 2016 illuminates a lot of bad things about how the majority of voters make decisions.

Basically, Russians only influenced the election if they did hack the DNC (probably did), Clinton had the worst luck when it came to a few things (catching pneumonia, Anthony Weiner, the DNC being bankrupt, etc.), and Comey making two completely irrational choices in his communications with the public. I severely doubt Bernie would have been able to survive the general election either, it was pretty ridiculous.

This also doesn’t excuse many obvious things: Clinton was always going to be controversial no matter what she did, but her team was always sycophants that caused her problems and she was still a big reason the DNC went bankrupt since she wanted the BO consultant parade around fer her run. Basically, the pneumonia is the only thing she couldn’t have prevented or mitigated.

4 Likes