A round up of Trumpian events šŸ–•šŸŠšŸ¤”

7 Likes

Sounds totally reasonable.

16 Likes

I follow:

7 Likes

holy fucking hell how obtuse can he actually be?

ETA oops yeah need more coffeeā€¦ nevermind.

6 Likes

Note the twitter username.

6 Likes

realDonaldTruvp

7 Likes

Trumpy, remember ā€“ inside voice! When the cameras are on, you have to pretend not to be utterly corrupt! We talked about this!

5 Likes
8 Likes

I canā€™t even imagine what fuckery that might containā€¦

3 Likes

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15I199?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

A presidential order also imposed a 180-day delay on the implementation of a ā€œfiduciary ruleā€ for brokers offering retirement advice, according to a draft memo seen by Reuters.

During that time the U.S. Labor Department is to conduct an economic and legal analysis of the regulation and rescind the rule if it is inconsistent with Trump administration priorities, according to the memo, which is not final.

Originally slated to take effect in April, the rule requires brokers to act as ā€œfiduciaries,ā€ or in their clientsā€™ best interests, when advising them about retirement plans.

10 Likes

Maybe he will solve the admission and funding problems by requiring that black students go to HBCUs (on their own dime, naturally).

7 Likes

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some way he can spin this in his favor. ā€œFake surveysā€ perhaps.

8 Likes

Does anyone have more information on this?

10 Likes

Whoever wrote the Rueters piece is suffering from a ā€œtoo knowledgeable about the specific topicā€ syndrome. That is not an easy block of writing to piece together. Put each topic in their own section of the story!

If anyone else was confused, let me organize it a bit:

The EO states there is a 180 day delay for the fiduciary rule the US, pushing it back six months when it originally was slated to roll out in April. It also requires the US Department of Labor to review the regulation and make sure it better aligns with the priorities of the Trump administration.

In addition to all this, the EO is pushing for the Dodd-Frank law to be rewritten and has urged congress to replace the law with a different less restrictive one.

5 Likes

New FCC guy isnā€™t wasting time.

Adios net neutrality?

Going forward, the Federal Communications Commission will not focus on denying Americans free data

Because of course, thatā€™s what they were doing beforeā€¦

12 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what he could be doing, but the article links to this article which shows that there was some criticism of Obama over how he decided to give funding to HBCUs, through the general higher ed fund, meaning less direct cash went to HBCUs:

Soā€¦ I donā€™t know. This could be seen as Trump (and back in the day, Bush) pushing for more segregation of universities or of supporting venerable institutions of higher learning that are dedicated to African American solidarity and education. What are the effects, I guess and what role should an HBCU play in black America right now? Will greater direct funding of HBCUs mean that less black students go to non-HBCU institutions? I donā€™t know the answers to those questions, though.

7 Likes

Border Patrol Union Pushed for Muslim Ban From Breitbart News Studios - Rewire
https://rewire.news/article/2017/02/03/border-patrol-union-we-made-muslim-ban-possible/

5 Likes

My concern is definitely in the former and that was the basis for my flippant response. Trump has time and time again used African-Americans as a prop for his campaign versus showing any true concern. Iā€™m certain any ā€œgreat ideasā€ here would have an undercurrent of ā€œletā€™s put more money into ā€˜black schoolsā€™ so They are less encouraged to try to get into Ivy League school and displace hard working white people through that damn affirmative action nonsenseā€ (never mind that white people can and do attend HBCUs) versus actually helping these schools prosper.

As for the role HBCUs play in contemporary America? Iā€™m probably the least qualified person to answer this being a white dude so I wonā€™t even try.

7 Likes

AARP statement:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/827611219460755456

12 Likes

I have seen that reported by multiple outlets, but there donā€™t seem to be any named sources (surprise!).

5 Likes