A round up of Trumpian events šŸ–•šŸŠšŸ¤”

Fuck, even the Washington Examiner is questioning his sanity:

ā€œā€¦we all know that Trump tweets with abandon and often from ignorance. We know we arenā€™t supposed to take all his tweets literally. But that doesnā€™t excuse him. It just means we have even more reason to question his judgment, even if not his sanity.ā€

11 Likes

Thread.

10 Likes

Alabama sees that bit of insanity and raises a few more chips

6 Likes

And the crazy continues.

2 Likes

I know. Basically she supported Trump entirely because he said that Mexicans were rapists. She would overlook any other thing about him just for that one statement. And now three and a half years later sheā€™s realized that all those things people said about Trump being an incompetent grifter are true. Except, of course, she isnā€™t ā€œrealizingā€ they are true, sheā€™s discovering them entirely on her own and then acting like there was no way she could have known.

Well, obviously they canā€™t arrest him for disrespecting the flag because he has a first amendment right to do that. Like Desiree Fairooz couldnā€™t be arrested for laughing at Sessions. Hopefully because the case has got national attention some lawyer will show up pro bono or a crowdfunding campaign will take care of this kid to make the appropriate arguments to get the charges dropped or dismissed. But this isnā€™t some isolated incident.

Americaā€™s idea of ā€œfree speechā€ drives me nuts.

10 Likes

Uhhhhhhhhā€¦

9 Likes

WTAF??? Do we really need a fucking nuclear arms race in an area not exactly known for rational action? We could soon be looking at the Pakistani-Indian face off as the island of stability in the region. Saudi nuclear ambition could be what pushes Iran to restart their program. Which could be what the Trump administration wants. If they could think that many steps ahead. Oh shit, what have i done?

6 Likes

If Trump is giving nuclear secrets to the Saudis I think we can be pretty sure itā€™s about getting Saudi money for Kushner and not for any thought to whether the middle east turns into a sea of radioactive glass or not.

8 Likes

News headlines I am reading is that they were trying to peddle nuke power plant tech, not bombs. But it seems like they would be the last group of people interested in alternate power technology.

3 Likes

Free speech is permitted in schools as long as it isnā€™t too disruptive, but the school has a lot of leeway in deciding what constitutes ā€œtoo disruptive.ā€ If administrators believed this kid needed to be disciplined, they could have given him a detention or suspended him, or better yet, tried to engage him on the topic of racism and free speech. He could have written an essay expounding on his beliefs, they could have discussed it in class. Instead, they had him arrested. Itā€™s an authoritarian response from people who are overmatched and out of ideas, and as you say ā€œthis isnā€™t some isolated incident.ā€

I think itā€™s the total lack of nuance in the schoolā€™s response that bothers me the most. Maybe the kid was behaving like a jackass- itā€™s possible, even likely- 6th grade boys arenā€™t noted for their respectful nature. My kidā€™s a teenager and sheā€™s obnoxious and oppositional sometimes. When she behaves in a way I donā€™t like, I donā€™t escalate the situation by attacking her life choices or calling in law enforcement. But I donā€™t cede the argument to her either; I try to understand why sheā€™s acting out and address the underlying issue. Chaining her up in the tower would be a lot easier, but it leads to bad outcomes for everybody.

4 Likes

This is what drives me nuts about the whole thing. The kid was engaged in political speech that was disruptive to their school classroom. School children donā€™t get to stand up and shout whatever they want in class, free speech or not. But thatā€™s a school discipline issue. Once you call the police, though, now itā€™s the authoritarian state coming down on free speech. There shouldnā€™t be a criminal law against being a disruptive kid in school.

It just always feels to me like itā€™s a central part of American ethos to grandstand about freedom but itā€™s not a central part of the American ethos to actually respect freedom. Why was it not the impulse of the teacher to use that as an opportunity to teach the kids about American civics. Why was it not the impulse of the cops to say, ā€œWeā€™re not arresting someone for saying what they thinkā€¦ this is America.ā€ But cops want to arrest everyone they can.

America needs the first amendment to say, ā€œDonā€™t arrest 11 year old kidsā€ more than it needs it to say anything about free speech.

8 Likes

My school system had a code of conduct with three levels of offences. In each list of offences, the final entry was basically ā€œwhatever else the school officials feel belongs here.ā€

2 Likes

I think they are aware that the oil fields will one day dry and up and that they will need to diversify their economy and find alternatives. They may be autocrats, but theyā€™re not blind.

And also, of course they want nukes, too. They fully believe the Iranians are developing them, and the Israelis have them, and they want to shore up their leadership position in the region.

6 Likes

ā€œThe committeeā€™s report alleges that the major drivers behind the effort to transfer U.S. nuclear technology were retired Gen. Michael Flynn, who served as the presidentā€™s national security adviser, and Thomas Barrack, who chaired Trumpā€™s inauguration committee.
ā€¦
For about seven months in 2016, including during the presidential transition, Flynn served as an adviser to IP3 International, a private company seeking to build nuclear plants in Saudi Arabia.ā€

We didnā€™t get the best or the finest. Weā€™re going to be in trouble for a long timeā€¦

3 Likes

The Atlantic (I know, I know) has an excerpt:

3 Likes

Whatā€™s wrong with the Atlantic? I havenā€™t heard about a problem.

1 Like

THIS is why douchebags like Kushner, Flynn and the other trump circus freaks should have NEVER EVER received security clearances.

9 Likes
9 Likes

Wait, are those signs in Black Face?? /hs