A song composed by artificial intelligence in the style of the Beatles

Blech!

2 Likes

6 Likes

Creepy like the ‘uncanny valley’, only in music form.

6 Likes

This, I havent even listened to it yet but when I read the “French composer Benoît Carré arranged and produced the songs, and wrote the lyrics.” I was like huh? wtf

1 Like

It sounds like the Love CD if all the tracks were played simultaneously. Mashup turned mess up.

3 Likes

In a world where Biff Tannen is running for President nobody cares what Marty thinks.

1 Like

Nope, the Monkees were a great bubblegum pop band :wink:

“Daddy’s Car” is composed in the style of The Beatles. French composer Benoît Carré arranged and produced the songs, and wrote the lyrics.

So this is a song by an AI? Is “French composer Benoît Carré” an AI?

1 Like

Except anything by Dukes of Stratosphear would be much more fun to listen to than this.

3 Likes

What’s great is it isn’t even close to natural. It’s a mishmash of various bits.

3 Likes

One of the aspects of algorithmic composition which is as contentious as the technical and aesthetic considerations is the question of “authorship”. What degree of stylistic input is acceptable from a tool before the tool is considered the composer? For people who aren’t egotistically attached to the work, it might not be a personal concern. But I am sure that publishers, unions, etc consider this important. I extend the question of authorship so far as to suggest that even drilling students on a book of western music composition can be seen as using an expert system to constrain their output.

One of the most progressive uses of AI I think is to subvert human notions of ownership, to create cultural artefacts which cannot be owned by anyone.

I’ve got it! How about Monkee Selfee?

2 Likes

I think that’s the only reason I kinda like it–there is definitely still a machine element there, the sound of a computer attempting to sing like us. Kind of interesting in that regard.

I don’t have time right now, but I definitely have questions about how exactly this was cobbled together, and how much it was shaped and edited after the initial output.

Meme trifecta*!

*Something old, something new, something borrowed…

2 Likes

Something blew? Yes, that about sums up my attempts at algorithmic composition! XD

3 Likes

Seriously.

Arranged, produced, and lyrics by human… even were this good, this makes this much less interesting. The only things that are truly ‘Beatles-esque’ could easily have been arrangement decisions on the part or Mssr Carré, e.g. the stacatto piano chords on the down beat…

…without an unretouched example of what was actually ‘composed’ this is all but meaningless :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The original AI version…

4 Likes

The music may not have happened yet, but this story has been written:

3 Likes

One obvious difference, is that The Beatle’s psychadelica was driven by LSD, while this stuff is computer/internet driven. As the pot gets more potent, the web gets less so.

3 Likes

Arthur C. Clarke, uncanny.

1 Like

It says it was the arrangement and lyrics were human made.
It’d say most of the “Beatles” sound you get from it are from the vocals and the studio mixing, not just the sheet music.

1 Like

Not to be confused with the Killer Joke…

1 Like