A supremely weird book: 'Dating Vegans'

I’m not a vegan because I love animals; I just really hate plants.

10 Likes

Here you go:

“She got to the other side. Which was salad.”

2 Likes

This sort of stuff is gradually being absorbed into the larger conspiracy subculture with GMOs, HARRP. vaccines, UN invasions what have you.

What sort of stuff? Vegan dating?

I suspected that the book was published in the 1980’s, which would make a lot of sense. Back then, the average person in the U.S. would have had the same deer-in-the-headlights look as if you’d said you only eat cats. But no: 2012.

Though it does remind me of a first date in the 1990’s when my date ordered a salad for dinner and then was surprised when I didn’t. “I thought vegetarians only ate salad”…uh, no. But wasn’t that sweet, to order a salad rather than a steak (not that I would have cared)? Thoughtfulness is very sexy.

6 Likes

any discussion about vegans – particularly this one! – makes want to link to this old Dilbert cartoon, but i can never find it online. Dilbert was at a party or something, and talking to this woman… i don’t recall what he said to her to prompt this, but she tells him she’s a vegan, to which he replies, “i hate star trek.”

… and now that is my stock line whenever anyone mentions being a vegan to me. i find it pricelessly, hilariously geeky.

5 Likes

No hate here. I think many get defensive when talking to vegans because they draw the conclusion that people who are vegan for ethical reasons believe their dietary choices are morally superior to omnivores. I think omnivorous diets are morally and ethically superior. More animals are killed producing a pound of rice than are killed producing a pound of beef. More here. Vegans murder more than omnivores. IMHO buying humanely produced meats means you actually get a vote in how the animals are treated before being slaughtered. Vegans lose that vote. Eating reasonable amounts of humanely raised meat is arguably more ethical than veganism. The jury is still out on health benefits of pure veganism. Omnivorous and vegan diets both have advantages and disadvantages. Once you realize how morally confused vegans are you can let go of the hate and just feel sorry for them. I do love a good vegan meal every now and again however.

Some vegans do seem to be obsessed with it. If it is nearly all they talk about it can be irritating. Those particular vegans remind me of the stoners obsessed with marijuana everything.

2 Likes

And then some other smart alek says “no, no, those were in Star Wars”, and next thing you know an all-out geek war has erupted, and no one even cares about eating the salad any more…

3 Likes

This is exactly the kind of proselytizing that comes up every time, every single time.

3 Likes

Your link, and your comment it seems, are about vegetarians, not vegans. And, oddly, I can find nothing in your link that supports your claim that producing a pound of rice kills more animals than producing a pound of beef. Which animals, and how many, are killed in producing a pound of rice?

Actually, what in the world are you even talking about? If you’re talking about vegetarians who eat eggs and diary products, you’re not talking about vegans…

As for condescendingly “feeling sorry” for vegans, nothing you said explains why that’s a justified feeling.

As for the obsessed vegans who supposedly can’t talk about anything else, as I said above, I’ve never met any of them, sorry to hear you have, and I hope you don’t consider them typical.

5 Likes

I know, right?

Vegans eat rice too! But it isn’t only rice. That is just one example…of which there are many

Wtf? Sure they eat rice, but vegans don’t eat animal products. That’s the difference you’re now avoiding. Along with my question about how producing rice kills animals, which ones, and how many, since from what I can see, your link says nothing at all about that.

2 Likes

In 2001, S. L. Davis of the Department of Animal Sciences at Oregon State University, Corvallis, wrote a paper claiming that the diet most likely to result in the deaths of the fewest animals would be beef, lamb, and dairy — not vegan. Davis found a study that measured mouse population density per hectare in grain fields both before and after harvest and estimated a harvest casualty rate of ten mice per hectare. Then, he multiplied that figure by 120 million hectares of farmland in the U.S.; meaning that 1.2 billion mice would die each year in food production if America became a wholly vegan country. Next, he estimated the number of animals that would be killed if half of our fields were dedicated to raising grass eating forage animals (cows, calves, sheep, lambs, etc.) from which to obtain meat. He found that there would Be 300,000 fewer animal deaths (.9 billion) annually from such an omnivorous diet than the number of deaths (1.2 billion mice) that would be caused from a universal vegan diet.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/225023/veganism-murder-wesley-j-smith

“… it appears that rice, when sown and
harvested mechanically, takes the greatest toll on higher
animals, especially amphibians. This is because rice
paddies can support large populations of animals in a
relatively small area.”

http://michael.freevision.org/evfaq3.txt

“[A] conservative annualized estimate of vertebrate deaths in organic rice farming is ~20 pound. … [T]his works out a bit less than two vertebrate deaths per square foot, and, again, is conservative. For conventionally grown rice, the gross body-count is at least several times that figure. … When cutting the rice, there is a (visual) green waterfall of frogs and anoles moving in front of the combine. Sometimes the “waterfall” is just a gentle trickle (± 10,000 frogs per acre) crossing the header, total for both cuttings, other times it is a deluge (+50,000 acre)."

http://prorevnews.blogspot.com/2011/10/vegans-are-animal-killers.html

Sure the book tells you how to date a vegan but does it tell you why?

2 Likes

There’s no doubt that large-scale plant-for-food production kills animals, but the argument that it kills more than raising animals for food does is specious, and widely refuted elsewhere (which is no surprise, given the excitement of a cherry-picking, context-ignoring rag like the National Review for the argument you’re citing).

The arguments you point to pit the most ideal meat-raising conditions against the least ideal grain-raising conditions, which just isn’t what happens in the real world. Most animals raised for human consumption are grain-fed (not grass fed), a process in which an average consumer consumes FAR more grain (and resources) than a vegan does, and thus kills far more other animals in the process. Vegans also tend to seek out less industrially produced food sources, and thus sources that harm and kill fewer animals. Anyway, you’ve clearly made up your mind that veganism and vegetarianism are ridiculous, so do go on your merry way, hastening the destruction of life as we know it.

4 Likes

A record yield of rice is

• 7,500 pounds per acre killing 10,000-50,000 frog lives.

Compare that to about

• 7,500 pounds of nutrient dense meat for 10 cow lives

When you consider how much rice is necessary to give the same amount as meat you realize vegans account for magnitudes of hundreds of thousands of lives per meal over omnivores.

You don’t have to be a mathematician to work that out! Rice is Murder!

And who’s cherry picking now? You’re comparing the worst diet practices of omnivores to the most stringent vegans.

Frogs are a renewable resource.
Even more true it is for mice.

4 Likes

Cows too! With considerably less animal death per pound than nearly any vegetable. they are nutrient dense so you don’t have to eat nearly as many pounds.

In any online discussion about veganism, one can expect vegans to be handily outnumbered by smug, obnoxious, proselytizing omnivores complaining about how smug and obnoxious those vegans are with all of their proselytizing.

The best bit is that his link about how vegans kill so many animals with their rice eating habits hinges on this paragraph:

The culprit is eggs. While you only need to kill one single steer to get about 450 pounds (405,000 calories) worth of meat, you’d need to kill about 20 chickens to get enough eggs to match that number of calories. So if you’re a vegetarian who eats a lot of omelets, you’re likely responsible for more animal deaths than someone who chows down on burgers and steaks but doesn’t like eggs.

So, he’s talking about some rare breed of vegan that eats an egg-heavy diet.

7 Likes