A tall smokestack collapsed on an excavator, and a drone filmed it

In the videos where there isn’t a giant lower third graphic blocking things you can see was reaching to the side of the tower. If it had gone the way it was supposed to it should have gone perpendicular to him. Problem is it the bottom appears to have just collapsed straight down before it toppled.

4 Likes

This event demonstrates the danger posed by second-hand smokestack.

23 Likes

Everyone knows that an excavator taking a whack at a smokestack isn’t nearly strong enough to bring it down. Clearly the graphic is being used to cover up the thermite. A buddy of mine told me that a buddy of his who once had a drink in the same bar as an engineer saw telltale signs of it.

7 Likes

How much is two million pounds in rubbles? Maybe he’s already rich enough he doesn’t need to play the lottery, is what I’m saying.

3 Likes

Careful what you ask for, some of us are well versed in conversion to rubbles.

2 Likes

6 Likes

send me a brazillian in unmarked, non-sequential rubbles or I will throw all your verses down a well.

1 Like

[quote=“MrChrisValle, post:3, topic:69975, full:true”]
Don’t things normally fall/collapse in the direction from which they are weakened? As in chopping down a tree, excavation, etc.
[/quote]I can’t speak to the principle in general, but no, trees fall based on their weight distribution most of the time. When felling a tree, engineering the cut carefully to direct the fall of the tree where you want it is very very important.

A theoretical perfectly healthy tree growing in the middle of an open field with perfect water, light and soil conditions is very likely to have symmetrical weight distribution in the crown. Notch it and drop it… Real trees, not so much!

5 Likes

At about 25 seconds into the video for some reason I started thinking about a blue oval pill. That’s pretty impressive for a 115 year old.

Talk about getting fucked by a banner. Damn, that was rough.

2 Likes

That’s why any tree that we dropped near the house had a come-a-long pulling in the direction that we wanted it to fall.

5 Likes

Apparently, it doesn’t have to be that way: precision tree falling.

1 Like

Did you bring it inside for Christmas?

1 Like

Funny, coz the guy who was driving it calls it a hoe

They usually were giant white pines.

Tracked excavators are also sometimes called trackhoes, so that could be why he called it a hoe.

But backhoes have a scoop bucket on one side and a digger arm on the other, so this machine wasn’t a backhoe.

2 Likes

No, it’s simpler than that. The bucket is synonymous with hoe.

Front loader… back hoe.

So anything with the two part articulated arm with a bucket on it is… a hoe. Has nothing to do with the tracks vs. wheels or anything else.

1 Like

All I know is that I wanted to be one when I grew up.

The Frontloader-Backhoe type that looks like a scorpion.

1 Like

They are fun to drive. If you ever have a chance to, or an excuse to, do it. You won’t regret it.

4 Likes

Yes, of course! But how do I become one?

2 Likes