A teen girl swings in her backyard, unaware of a bear in her yard — until she gets a warning call (video)

Originally published at: A teen girl swings in her backyard, unaware of a bear in her yard — until she gets a warning call (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, the bear looked scared, too.

Or maybe she just wanted to ride the swing.

Bear Swing GIF by Jessimae Peluso

20 Likes

Best be careful though. Those things can be dangerous!

7 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

4 Likes

Still, another case of Ring cameras and cellphones doing some good. The outcome might have been different 50 years ago.

1 Like

Bear, “WTF… back and forward… back and forward… back and forward… :nauseated_face: I think I’m going to barf… I’m out of here!”

7 Likes

50 years ago, the bear would have walked through the yard, out the gate and down to the river. Or seen the human, turned around and left the yard.

8 Likes

50 years ago… that’s 1973!!! :older_man:

3 Likes

So you’re saying the bear would’ve been wearing paisley bell bottoms and a very wide collar as it walked past?

7 Likes

hqdefault

5b21673b5177e246032b38872306b291

7 Likes

where was this? kinda looks like Tahoe. i think the bear was more freaked out by her than the other way around.

It’s always best to keep one’s distance from bears, but unprovoked black bear attacks against humans are extremely uncommon. On average they kill fewer than one person in North America a year.

Statistically speaking you should be far more concerned for your safety if a human being approaches your yard.

2 Likes

Not sure where, but it’s incredibly beautiful. Those huge trees. That lake. I want to listen to music and swing there! But maybe not with bears…

I’m not sure, but that looked kinda like a brown bear, which I think is more dangerous than a black bear. Although probably still extremely uncommon to attack humans.

Home Alone Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

And the girl would have heard the snuffling breathing and the sound of claws on the ground.

This one looks to be a black bear that has dark brown fur (seriously, whoever named that species didn’t really do their homework). Grizlies/brown bears are definitely a lot more dangerous than black bears, but far fewer Americans live in places where they are still around.

One easy way to tell them apart is that brown/grizzly bears have prominent shoulder humps that are higher than their rumps.

1 Like

Or absconded with the pic-a-nic basket.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.