A thoughtful interview with David Tennant about the loss of anonymity

With or without the ASMR touches?

1 Like

Living in Los Angeles, I’ve had a number of celebrity encounters* over the years. My position has developed over the years, but basically: I don’t ever want to have any interaction, longer than a smile and nod, that starts on the basis of fandom. If we don’t have some other thing to talk about, I’d rather not talk at all - because I assume that they would rather not have that conversation for the nth time.

My favorite sleb sighting, though… In the late 90s, we moved into a house that had a bidet. A year or so later, it developed a leak, and I went to the local hardware store to ask about getting a replacement gasket. The counterman couldn’t help me, but a fellow customer overheard me and mentioned that he had the same model of bidet and it had leaked in the same way; he told me where to find the parts I needed (it was a specialty shop in the South Bay, I recall.) After he checked out and left the store, I asked the counterman “Was that… Erik Estrada?” It was; yes, even Ponch’s bidet leaks from time to time, and yes - he’s a really nice guy.

*I used to work for a medical practice-management software company; several of our clients were Beverly Hills doctor’s offices. On one hand, I met a surprising number of celebrities; on the other hand, the circumstances were such that any interaction would have been fairly creepy, even apart from fan service. I don’t think anybody on earth wants to be recognized in the proctologist’s waiting room.

7 Likes

I remember reading online about someone spotting Roy Scheider in line at the grocery store. He decided not to say hi when he noticed that Scheider was buying a Fleet enema kit.

3 Likes

I always felt that the way he played Killgrave was similar to his Doctor Who, in that they were both people who felt the could walk into a room and completely dominate it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.