A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

8 Likes

Worth noting:

The data on maternal care was collected prior to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in June that overturned Roe v. Wade and the constitutional right to abortion in the U.S.

So I am sure it’s much better now… (/s)

Not only does this put women in danger, but their babies have measurably worse outcomes, increasing the strain on already overburdened pediatric resources. Increasing burnout, leaving the field and so on. It’s not a good thing any way you look at it.

16 Likes

So, they ‘win’ by every marker you just mentioned.

The cruelty, the pain, the injuries, and the deaths are all very much The Point.

11 Likes
14 Likes

So many possible threads:

17 Likes
10 Likes
14 Likes

Not surprising that numerous countries have similar misogynistic sayings, but I was intrigued by the misunderstanding of the British version:

As I cast about for an answer, I discovered a British proverb that seems to have inspired our own American variant. “Keep her well-shagged and poorly shod and she’ll not wander far,” and adaptations thereof, shows up on hundreds of internet conversation threads, social media posts, novels, and, poignantly, in this punk rock song about domestic violence (citation removed). As Jonathon Green, author of Green’s Dictionary of Slang, noted in response to my Twitter inquiry about “well-shagged and poorly shod,” it’s almost always prefaced by “the old proverb,” but there’s no evidence of it predating the 20th century.

The poorly shod part is the same, yes, but “well-shagged” means sexually satisfied, not pregnant. It’s also a requirement in Judaism: sexually satisfy your wife, regularly. That’s the opposite of what we mean in the States with the expression “barefoot & pregnant”.

12 Likes
13 Likes

Unfortunately, More Women Are Being Forced to Describe Harvey Weinstein’s ‘Deformed’ Genitalia

12 Likes

“Police said the victim, Greta Denise Rainey, 35, had been raped and strangled.“

“The Washington Blade reported in an Aug. 28, 1987, story that D.C. police initially arrested Rainey’s girlfriend, Roxanne Johnson, 32, on a charge of second-degree murder for Rainey’s death two days after Rainey’s body was found in Johnson’s apartment on May 13, 1987.

The Blade story reported that four months later, prosecutors with the Office of the U.S. Attorney for D.C. dropped the murder charge against Johnson without disclosing a reason for doing so. Johnson at the time contacted the Blade to say the charge was dropped “because I didn’t do it.” She said her arrest on what she called a false charge had a devastating impact on her life.

Among other things she said her landlord pressured her into moving out of her apartment on grounds that her presence was alarming the other tenants.“

35 years to process a rape kit - and let’s charge her girlfriend for some reason.

15 Likes

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

Also…

14 Likes

JFC.

Mark Werksman, Weinstein’s attorney, told the court that prior to the MeToo movement, it was a perfectly common practice for women hoping to break into the industry to barter with sex: “Hollywood…was an entirely different place. In Hollywood, sex was a commodity. That’s the way things were done.”

So not only is he implying that that was cool and okay, he’s implying that the women here are lying about it being consensual encounters with Weinstein.
And also, I wish I hadn’t read that. I can’t un-know the odd details about his junk. :nauseated_face:
At least there were no visuals, I guess.

14 Likes

And, it’s actually the powerful men in control of everything in the industry who were the victims of those ambitious, conniving women.

11 Likes

My aunt experienced the “casting couch”. It wasn’t consensual & it hurt her badly.

17 Likes
2 Likes

The term “incelligence” needs to gain traction:

23 Likes

Not Funny Reaction GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

9 Likes
12 Likes

Ohio Republican, Skeptical of the U.S. Maternal Mortality Rate, Blames It on ‘Obesity’

13 Likes