A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Hundreds of men gather in town squares across Croatia every month to kneel and pray for the modesty of women, the bolstering of patriarchal authority and a ban on abortions.

The rise of the conservative Catholic men’s group leading the vigils, known as “Be Manly”, has attracted a small but dedicated following in the Balkan country, where the church carries significant sway and traditional values are widespread.

“Women should make sure they do not cause men to sin with their behavior and clothing,” Bozidar Nagy, a priest who supports the movement and has led a rally in Zagreb, told a broadcaster earlier this year.

4 Likes

Patriarchy: Men foisting responsibility for themselves onto women since forever.

"Women should make sure they do not cause men to sin with their behavior and clothing,” Bozidar Nagy

You wanna ‘be manly’? Grow the fuck up and control yourself. Women can’t “cause” you to do anything, you fucking manchild.

10 Likes

And I thought that it sounded like an interesting place to visit.

10 Likes

Gaaaahhhhh!!! How about you manly men man up and take control of your own urges and sins! Honestly, this sounds like organized spousal abuse. “I pray that you would stop making me hit you.” If they are too weak to deal with women in public, they really need to take a serious look at themselves.

14 Likes

It seems no place is an interesting place to visit these days. :frowning_face:

5 Likes

11 Likes

Yes GIF by Shalita Grant

7 Likes

Mary Katherine Backstrom is a local. I follow very few influencer types in my tiny social media presence, especially Christian ones, and she’s a respite from the avalanche of horrors that FB dumps in my face when I check the couple groups that only communicate via that platform. She grew up in the hate- and fear-mongering evangelical world, has been in recovery from it since, and uses her experience to push back against their bullshit.

(Screengrab from her public FB page)

12 Likes

Thanks for the background, she really does sound awesome.

And I want that shirt!

13 Likes

IIRC it was a limited run she did with a local print shop. I’m too heathen and uneducated in Bible stuff to wear it convincingly, otherwise I’d be after one myself.

ETA the print run is still happening:

(@milliefink )

7 Likes

A very great deal of what the actual fuck
:scream::expressionless::nauseated_face:

6 Likes

Lazy, self absorbed asshats…

12 Likes

Dibs on the band name “magic vacuum vaginas” and their first hits “Make A Miele of Me,” and “I’m a Dyson for Your Love.”

8 Likes

“Why Don’t We Do It on the Rug”

8 Likes
7 Likes

I wasn’t buying it but that last item really makes a good point. If your husband comes under machine gun fire you don’t want him hiding just anywhere with anyone, do you? Of course he should have to run an extra two hundred feet out in the open so he can get to the proper men’s foxhole. What is this feminist madness that prioritizes his well-being like that?

12 Likes
9 Likes

It’s okay- he was past his prime.

12 Likes

Uhhhh what?

2 Likes
13 Likes