A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Of the two gametes, only one of them is produced “on demand”, so you’d think it’d be reasonable to consider it as a possible vector for anomalies. You’d think. Unless there were some kind of deeply engrained societal reason to dismiss that notion.

7 Likes

The Ageism and Misogyny and the Male Gaze thread is closed, so here seemed the next best fit:

4 Likes

She looks good!

8 Likes

This comment she got sums up the shit we women deal with all our lives:

• "For the sake of men who have to see you in public, know what dresses compliment you and which ones don’t. Body hugging form fitting dresses on a woman over… 50, is not visually appealing in any form.”

The assumption that we must always dress with the male gaze in mind. So if we’re “unpleasant” to look at, it’s an affront, but if we’re too sexy or tempting, their violent actions are our fault.
It’s fucking exhausting.
I also think she looks great in the dress. I applaud her mission.

12 Likes

What a complete crock of shit; the dress looks fantastic on her.

12 Likes

Just a couple of hours after she filed the lawsuit.

Sounds like someone had overwhelming evidence on her side.

7 Likes

I posted that on the main-thread for it and I really have to ask; is this sort of suit just about money and wouldnt lead to imprisonement no matter what?

(yes, I was questioning her motives because of the speed of the settlement -sigh-)

2 Likes

Maybe so. But since an NDA can’t cover illegal activity- he’s still screwed if she wants to see him prosecuted.

11 Likes

so, there could be coming more…because just money doesnt hurt him one bit.

2 Likes

Correct on the last part. It’s really difficult to get a criminal charge for rape all the way to conviction. Even when the DA is interested in doing it. Which many are not. Even with strong forensic evidence and child victims it is difficult to get a conviction. Much less a case involving rape several years ago where the rapist is very rich and famous. When convictions happen the punishment can also be light. Or nothing. Like that guy who raped an unconscious woman behind a building.

I do not blame this woman for bleeding him of money. Realistically money was the only punishment or justice she was likely to get

11 Likes

thank you for the detailed answer; makes all sense now.

got it.

4 Likes

I used to be a rape victim advocate (took them through the system of hospital, police/detective, court, etc.) and we used to joke that a prosecutor wouldn’t bother taking the case at all (even if the rapist was arrested because he was caught in the act by the police themselves, or confessed) unless the victim was a nun, in traditional habit, raped in front of the altar during Sunday mass.

5 years doing that work, and only 2 convictions. FIVE YEARS. That’s my on-the-ground experience. And that’s in a city where the Vitullo Kit (rape kit) was used every single time a victim was brought to a hospital, which was the policy.

Used by medical staff in the hospital. Processed? Yeah, there’s the problem.

4 Likes

Exactly. And to add for our general readers, the financial settlements aren’t just about the money. It’s about the woman reclaiming some of the power that was stolen from her, and getting some vindication by finding out that, yes, her peers also think what was done to her was wrong.

15 Likes

Cross-posted from Assholes…

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/18/europe/french-senator-under-investigation-mp-drugging-case-intl/index.html

5 Likes

I have wondered why I wasn’t sexually assaulted more. Why I wasn’t usually the woman who was groped when out with friends. I couldn’t explain it.
The victim blaming of people who have survived more than one burns. :rage:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s not like most rape happens due to family members, neighbors, coaches, religious leaders, teachers…you know, the sort of people you only run into once in your life, not daily.

6 Likes

Coworkers and friends. People you’ve known for years.
The not realizing it was a sexual assault until weeks later is very familiar. The normalization of trauma also sounds familiar for different reasons.

8 Likes

I don’t know whether to be glad or sad that there isn’t a current thread about the ever-rampant sexual assault of children.

3 Likes

This documentary looks like it’s going to be interesting…

8 Likes

That was a compelling, concise read. The part about how we don’t learn to process the trauma, but instead learn to live within a system where the trauma will accumulate was well said.

4 Likes