A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/22/entertainment/axl-rose-sexual-assault-lawsuit/index.html

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

oops…aint over yet, puffy;

Hard to believe it’s been 13 years. Wow.

6 Likes
7 Likes

I don’t know where else to share this, but misogyny is a big part of the story here. One interesting thing I learned in this video: While the Marvels is, to date, the lowest earning MCU film, it’s also the biggest earning film opening with a black woman director. Anyway, this video covers a lot more ground than just that, so it’s not all about misogyny. I just wasn’t sure where else to share this, and I think it’s a really good video.

8 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

The Washington Post is very worried that American women don’t want to marry Trump supporters

9 Likes

I Wonder Emma Stone GIF by Saturday Night Live

15 Likes

That op ed

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I wish the various outlets would stop publishing this shit. Let’s see some real analysis of the real problem. It ain’t women

14 Likes

Well, now, lassie, the real problem is that us wimmin are allowed to work now, and make our own money, and so we expect more from men than to just save us from culturally-mandated starvation or prostitution if we don’t subjugate ourselves to their will. :nauseated_face:
Even before the political divide, a lot of men had a hard time adjusting to the idea that they had to be more than mere breadwinners. Some still do.

13 Likes

I didn’t quite understand what the highlighted bit in the below paragraph is getting at.

But misogyny thrives on the left too. The cause of women’s rights comes way down the pecking order for some progressives, below more fashionable issues like race and gender identity. How else to explain the left’s tendency to ignore or sideline Asian women inconveniently flagging sexism within their own communities; or that some people see it as a “progressive” cause to get women who think sex cannot be replaced by gender identity the sack?

Of course there is misogyny on the left, but is she saying that trans activists are part of the problem? I honesty don’t understand what that sentence is saying or referring to.

5 Likes

I read that part a couple of times, too, before interpreting it as a poorly constructed both-siderism salad with some classic divide and conquer language sprinkled on top. :woman_shrugging:t4:

13 Likes

Ok, then it wasn’t just me. There was also some completely unnecessary complaints about intersectionality that came across to me as “Won’t someone think of the white women?”

13 Likes

Given this is the UK Guardian I interpreted that sentence to mean "and some people on the left think it is a progressive cause to get TERFS fired for being exclusionary assholes. "
“women who think sex cannot be replaced by gender identity” = TERFs having a fit about terms like “pregnant people” and “people who menstruate” and TERFs generally wanting everyone to be defined by their “biological sex.”

TERFs aren’t feminists. No matter what they claim

7 Likes

I agree, so it kind of rubs me the wrong way that the article is saying that we should leave the poor TERFs alone.

The whole tone of the article seems to shift about halfway in and the second half sounds like, “Hey, everyone who’s not a cis white feminist, please stop complaining about the cis white feminists.”

11 Likes