A thread of our own- misogyny

Yes, I was specifically talking about “helpful condescension”. I will sometimes think that I am merely adding to the conversation, but am, in fact, mansplaining or worse. I find it much too easy to get into this defensive back-and-forth. But I would like to be called on any misogyny I display. Thank you.

8 Likes

applause4

12 Likes

Cool. It’s actually really pretty easy to avoid. And TBH, I used to fall into a similar mode with my friends (both female and male), slipping into the Problem Solving role.
So, key tips I use:

• If you want to offer a solution/explanation, prefacing it with something like, “you probably already know this, but just in case, I found this helpful in a similar situation,” is pretty fine.
  • If you find you’re wanting to share/spew your knowledge, take a breath and ask, “do you want to hear/are you open to suggestions, or do you just need to vent?” And react accordingly.

It’s really all about the framing. You can say basically the same thing or share the same knowledge, but in one way it comes across as ASSUMING the female in question didn’t already know that (which is frustrating, to say the least), and in the other way comes across as being a truly empathetic, sympathetic fellow traveler in life who sees them as a complete human with their own experiences and prior knowledge.

Oh, and PS, it might seem like a non-issue to some men-folk, but the fact that when we respond with, “yeah, I knew that,” we are often met with such indignant anger…it’s different than the lived experience of the menfolk experiencing the same interaction.

15 Likes
13 Likes

It’s fucking disappointing what a scumbag he’s turned out to be, isn’t it? I miss 1980s Johnny Depp. Where’s that guy? He could act, and I bet he wasn’t a totally misogynistic jack ass either.

13 Likes
8 Likes

I remember reading a study once that showed delivery room nurses speak to and physically handle girl and boy newborns differently. Girls get coos and gentle touches; boys get gruffer words and are handled more roughly.

This mom talks about how she has witnessed the same problem when her toddler is dressed in anything other than pink or a dress:

https://www.tiktok.com/@sierabearchell/video/6989092804349660422

13 Likes

That’s crazy, but totally believable.

Give all the babies coos and caresses, regardless to gender.

15 Likes

I suspect that if the victims of this were men, then the death penalty would be in the conversation.

7 Likes

OMG… :face_vomiting:
The only thing I can say is “why?” This is at least sexual assault of a sort. But a pathetic and disgusting sort. Of course, over here we have idiots ejaculating into potted plants in front of women. So proud of my gender… :man_facepalming:

12 Likes

Vomit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

Um, no. TBF, this is South Korea, not North.

6 Likes

I don’t think the rage of South Korean men at that would be much less than that of North Korean men. In the US, I would expect murders as a response to this.

1 Like

And the women to whom it happens are often told that they should just ignore it or laugh it off. (It was a common response to women joining various “manly” trades like mining, steel working, electrical work and so on.)

6 Likes

adventure time table flip GIF

9 Likes

Dammit GIF by memecandy

9 Likes
16 Likes

I can’t find a gif that fully enough expresses my despair.

No words either.

10 Likes

I feel you.

Sad Lou Taylor Pucci GIF by Apple TV

10 Likes
6 Likes